Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Ellsworth bolts  (Read 3956 times)

Steve Phillips

• Email
Ellsworth bolts
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:28:12 AM »
These are my Ellsworth bolts. Yankee on the bottom, Selma type in middle and the one on top was in Tom Dickey collection when he died. Tom had it marked West Virginia and that is all I know about it. Comments welcome.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Ellsworth bolts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »
Nice projectiles Steve, did you use Irfanview to resize?
John

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
No, I used a app I put on my IPad named auto resize. Easier than what I tried in the past.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
Good, as long as it works. Were these battlefield recoveries?
John

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
I found the Selma in the river. All I know about the top one is from Tom's notation for West Virginia and nothing on the Yankee bottom one. Pete May know something about the West Virginia one and if he doesn't he will pretend to. Just kidding Pete, I am bored.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
Very nice collection.  I don't recall seeing the bottom type before.  It has a bit of a James look to it.  It looks non-dug while the top West Virginia one looks dug.  Some rare items.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
Steve,
   I noticed that Jack Melton ony shows the center and bottom bolts. So the top one must be fairly rare.  Any thoughtrs?
Regards,
John

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »
Only one I know of. I thought some of the folks on here might have seen another.

wvdigrrr

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:47:07 PM »
Steve, awesome collection. I found my Ellsworth in WV also. Mine is like the bolt you found in the river...the middle one in your photo. Others of this type have been found around Harpers Ferry. I believe Stonewall Jackson captured several of the Ellsworth guns there. Enjoy seeing your post as these shells aren't often discussed. Take care, Shaun

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »
I think these CS bolts were made for the captured guns. They were made at Selma and I think used waxed string wrapped around one end as a sabot. The other one, the long bolt is the only one I know of and would like to know if any others have been found. Tom didn't leave much info on it so nobody knows about it. I don't know who he got it from, just West Virginia. He may not have had it long before he died. I thought Pete might know.