Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Union Bormann Fuze?  (Read 5621 times)

noonanda

• Email
Union Bormann Fuze?
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »
Found this today east of the Chancellorsville battlefield behind a family friends house. This whole area is about to be developed, this would have been about 6 inches down from where they would be laying the road. 12 Lb'er, just trying to identify it if I can, getting it disarmed tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Editted title,with the help of a extremely knowledgeable individual here I was able to identify and have it inert'ed.... Thanks Pete
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:13:17 PM by noonanda »

24thMichigan

Re: Can anyone tell is this a Union or Confederate Bormann Fuze?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »
Kind of difficult to see but I would say Union.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
Maybe Pete could chime in on it. He might be able to determine by looking at the pipe hump in the picture?

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:24:38 AM »
  In the photo, it does look like a Confederate-made one. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I examine it before I "inert" it for the finder.

Regards,
Pete

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »
That fuse is really nice. I hope the shell cleans up good. Get back out there and clean it out before it is covered up. If you need help let me know.😀

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »
Pete, I always have trouble knowing for sure a Confederate Borman. I mostly see Selma made and I wonder if all made elsewhere have no threads near top and two hash marks after the 5. Also is the wrench slot open the full length.

noonanda

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 07:09:37 PM »
Well I met up with Pete and learned a ton today in the short time I was with him. It is a Union 12 Lb Case shot (shell or ball, which is the correct term?) and it is going to be the centerpiece of my tiny collection. To think that Monday I found my first civil war items ( 2 .69 cal round balls,2 buckshot, and a a fired minnie as well as an Iron Case shot ball and a piece of a shell) and less than a week later I find a intact 12 Lb'er.

This is what it looks like now. Going to use electrolysis to clean it up, got a lot of good info on how I should do this from Pete as well. One question I do have, is should I plug the hole from the inerting process, to keep the resin/lead balls from being affected? maybe a cork or rubber stopper? What say you all?

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Union Bormann Fuze?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
You sir are among a rare breed in todays time, and to get to that level your 1st week. All I can say is go buy some lottery tickets cause you have a rabbits foot up your#%&, just kidding, congratulations. I have been hunting over 20 years and never found a whole shell. Of course here in sunny Florida they were not thrown around as much. Not like in Virginia.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

noonanda

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
You sir are among a rare breed in todays time, and to get to that level your 1st week. All I can say is go buy some lottery tickets cause you have a rabbits foot up your#%&, just kidding, congratulations. I have been hunting over 20 years and never found a whole shell. Of course here in sunny Florida they were not thrown around as much. Not like in Virginia.

Well then my luck has finally filled back up, I used up all but $5 worth on July 28th 2006. I was a Marine Advisor to the Iraqi Army, we were on our way back on a dismounted foot patrol, and I was 8-10 feet away from a 122mm Artillery shell set off as an IED. They had buried it in an old shot hole so most of the explosion was just dirt and rocks. Walked away with some peppering and a open fracture broken right arm from a piece of Shrapnel which caused me to get medevaced back to the states . Reason why it was $5 is because when I got back to the states, my brother picked me up at Bethesda MD and took me out in town for a beer. 4th of July weekend, fireworks making me jump every 2 seconds. I had him stop at a convenience store where I ran in (in Cammies, my right arm in a cast halfway up my bicep and bought a scratcher ticket and won $5 bucks.

So thanks for the kind words LOL ;)

24thMichigan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »
Nice.  Thanks for your service.  You deserve this find, many more and much more past that.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:35 PM »
Wow, thank you for your service sir. I am glad you are ok. But I have to be honest and break the bad news to you. Being a police office I have some limited medical knowledge (very limited) but enough to advise you that you may be (based on you admission about the fire works) suffering from a form of shell shock. Now having that Bormann around will not be conducive to a speedy recovery so I will send you my address so you can send me that shell. I mean it is your health I am concerned with. I want you to recover.  ;D. All kidding aside thank you for your service and congratulations on the fine recovery.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
Good for you.  IMNSHO no need to plug the hole once Pete is done flushing it.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 06:47:43 AM »
Semper Fi and congratulations on your find.