Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: CS sideloaders  (Read 3528 times)

relicrunner

CS sideloaders
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
Does anyone have any info on what arsenals produced the sideloader style cannonballs and shells? Any particular arsenal? Were the different type of plugs, (lead, iron, copper) attributed to any particular arsenal?
Thank you

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: CS sideloaders
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
     good question Jim.  I'm interested in the answer now too.....

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »
There is on-paper documentation, in the form of CS Ordnance Department receipts, that several Richmond VA foundries (Tredegar, Samson & Pae, and Eagle Ironworks) manufactured sideloader Case-Shot cannonballs. The Fayetteville NC aresenal probably also did. There is "field-recovered" evidence that a Selma Arsenal area foundry produced at least a few sideloader cannonballs.

You didn't ask about cylindrical sideloaders... but in my opinion, some of the varieties of Read Sideloader Case-Shot were manufactured in the Deep South, and at least one version at Selma, in 1863.

Regards,
Pete

Selma Hunter

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:06:45 AM »
Guys -

There were a number of brass plugged side loaders recovered from the river in Selma many years ago.  I'm sure Steve Phillips can shed more light on the subject than I can.  I do still have one of a very few SLOTTED brass plugged sideloaded 12lb'rs that came out of a lost trove some years ago. 

Several of our active forum friends managed to buy slotted plug shells from that batch.

Cheers,

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
I have dived at Selma for 40 years and found over 300 there. My family and friends have found that many or more and I can't recall ever seeing a side loader that was actually found at Selma. My memory is poor but  I don't think they made them there. I have always wondered where the land mines used at Blakely were made.
Steve P

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »
 Pete \ all,            I think what Jim might have been asking [ or what I thought he meant ] in the initial question was if the material used on the sideloader plug, if it can pinpoint the foundry or area where they were manufactured; lead, brass, iron and copper...

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »
Dave,  I would think that they were available materials, not specific to a particular arsenal.  No fact to base this on just a hunch.
John