Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Fort Pulaski  (Read 8631 times)

Lowcountry83

• Email
Fort Pulaski
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
As Carl said in another post, "Spring is here," and I'm fortunate enough to live in Savannah, GA only a few miles from Fort Pulaski and was out yesterday enjoying our 80 degree weather. Thought I'd share a few pics I took for those of you who have never seen the damage done to these 7 feet thick brick walls 150 years ago.
Most of this was caused by 30 lb. Parrot shells being fired from over a mile away on Tybee Island.
There are still some shells protruding from the holes as hopefully you can see. This was the first major use of rifled cannon and it rendered masonry forts obsolete for obvious reasons..

Lowcountry83

• Email
Re: Fort Pulaski
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
Here's a close up picture of one of the parrot shells still embedded in the wall. It's in the top center hole covered in shadow but hopefully you can make it out.. pretty cool IMO.

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »
Very cool pics!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Great pictures.

Ft. Pulaski is definitely worth the visit.  It is far more intact than Ft. Sumter and it's neat to walk around the outside and view the damage. 

One kind of interesting thing about that National Park that I find interesting is that they've contracted with someone to make 'plastic' cannons to sit on the top level of the fort.  Whoever did them did a nice job as they look quite real.  I'm sure the purest can point out mistakes but they were probably cheap (although I'm not sure the government can buy anything cheap), light and helped give the fort a more finished look by having some large guns up there.

I'd also recommend a short ride across the bridge to Tybee Island to stop and look at the batteries that fired on it.  These are found on your left as soon as your cross over onto big Tybee Island.  While not park property you can see the remains of the emplacements along with a nice view across the water to their target, Ft. Pulaski, and the old lighthouse that sits out in the water.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
I love that place.  My Dad and I went there about three years ago and its marvelous.  We also went over to Tybee as Carl suggests and I second. 

I have heard a couple versions of the story of Tom Dickey getting busted for digging there.  Part of his penance was to give a presentation which I believe was called "Confessions of a Night Hunter" that he gave to some group or another I think in Atlanta.  I would kill to have a tape recording of that presentation which I understand is unbelievably candid but also has his awesome humor.  If anyone can get a copy of the tape, and I know there are some out there, please share.

Lowcountry83

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:51:06 PM »
Lol I wasn't even aware he had been busted digging there. Id love to hear that tape also. Was he dragging a couple 6.4" James bolts along at the time?

Stephen

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
amazing pictures and story. Thanks for sharing