Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: PORT HUDSON SHELLS  (Read 6494 times)

PIA

PORT HUDSON SHELLS
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
Has anyone besides myself heard about a recent recovery of more than 100 Union artillery projectiles from the Port Hudson, LA, area?   

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: PORT HUDSON SHELLS
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »
No, but that is intresting. Maybe there will be fresh goodies to the market real soon. were they 30 pounders? I have a 30 pounder that presumably came from port hudson. I bought it about 10 or 12 yrs ago.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
LAZouave, please chime in or use your contacts to find out!

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
Those with Port Hudson shells, watch the value decline.

I myself with a modest collection of shells hopes that the Potomac River bottoms with its thousands of ACW shells remains well off limits. The more shells they find, the less our collections are worth.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »
I'm not into collecting for the money or their monetary value. I actually enjoy collecting them. Personally I wish C.S. buckles (real ones) would drop to 100.00 a piece and shells to 20.00 a piece, along with all other relics. Yes I know that will never happen.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:05:26 PM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
ya'll might want to let the digger have the honor of announcing his finds if he wants to. Sometimes people don't really want everybody nosing into their business, particularly if they are still working the area.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:46:37 AM »
Fellas -

I suspect that this "recent find" may be a thread stemming from a discovery and recovery made several years ago.  There was a digger who came across a magazine in the general vicinity of Vicksburg about 5 years back.  Lots of yankee iron came out of the hole.  Those projectiles have long since hit the marketplace.

Now, there may have been a more recent find, but the two stories are close enough to be the same event.

PIA

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Have not seen the projectiles personally.  My info comes from a good source.  Not trying to stir anything up.  Was just curious.

PIA

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
The projectiles were not 30 pounders and there is evidence that not all of them were originally dug in the  Port Hudson area...just recently unearthed there.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »
Not "originally dug in the Port Hudson area" but "recently unearthed there"?  Sounds like someone was hiding his collection from his wife and her lawyers!   ;D
Best,
Carl

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
I have not heard anything about this. I get a call for single shells dug!
I think one or more of my buds at Port Hudson would have called to rub that one in!

JR