Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Major Announcement for Bullet and Cartridge Collectors  (Read 17300 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Major Announcement for Bullet and Cartridge Collectors
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 05:52:43 PM »
That was me.  Somebody has to babysit Jim.  When I got back home this morning and saw you said you had attended the auction, I figured you might've been the guy behind me.  I think I bid against you on that oddball Starr bullet (shown below) right off the bat and then had nothing else to bid on for 100 lots of (boring  ;D ) cartridges so got up and walked toward the coffee in the back.  You gave me a kind look which was unexpected given the other sharks usually get PO'd when they lose out.  (Actually there was none of that I saw at this auction -- folks were cool).  Dan ("6pdr" on here) was across the aisle from me and Jim. 

I liked being up front so I couldn't see who I was bidding against at this auction since I knew quite a few of the folks.  There certainly was enough here for everyone, except maybe bidder #250, the phone in guy from Colorado.  I think he ended up paying $640 for that pair of NC shotgun slugs (aka Nesslers) you are talking about.  Crazy...

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 06:19:37 PM »
$640 Nessler pair!

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »
Mike,

I think I bided on the lot of 5 .54's against you, I guess some call them sharpshooter bullets. You dropped out of the bidding, but then 250 took it away...

Doubt I'll make it to Richmond but next show I see you at I'll say hi.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 10:31:24 PM »
Glad you got some good items Mike.  You're welcome for the morning walk around where I pointed out all the good bullets.  I had fun sitting next to someone who actually has enough money to bid on stuff at an auction.  Thanks for making my bids after I had to go to work and leave the auction.
Roy, you should have told us you were back there.  We would have run up your bids!  ;D

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »
Absentee bidder, here. I don't know if I've "won" anything. If EMike is right I picked up the unpressed .54 Gardner and a backwards P Enfield. Also had bids on three cartridges, a LeMat and .54 and .58 Gardner cartridges.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »
Roy, you should have told us you were back there.  We would have run up your bids!  ;D

Jim,
I would have just returned the favor!
 8)

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »
Called the auction house and found out I was the proud owner of zero items. I'm bummed. Thought I had won a few. Oh, well.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
I don't think they placed your bids, unless we were talking about different lots.  I know the guy who won this one and he got it for $55 which was less than what you told me you bid.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 06:07:53 PM »
Yeah, Mike, that was one of the lots I supposedly bid on. I bet you're right and none of my bids were put in. I'm pissed. I'll be even madder when I see the prices realized list.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

R. J. in LA

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »
Where does one go to view the prices realized list?

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 03:16:31 PM »
I checked to see what happened to Dave's bids at the auction.  He was assigned a number and his bids were recorded.  One of the employees related some interesting things to me.  Operators with absentee bids and phone bidders stand around the back of the house.  Often times, dumb or ignorant folks ask questions or otherwise try to engage them in conversation.  It only takes a second to miss a bid.  I think that is what happened to Dave's bid on this item as all the other things he bid on sold for just over his bids.  We know these distractions happened twice during Dean's auction...to different bidders.  I was also told how sometimes a large person is used to stand in front of the house bidders to intentionally block them from view of the auctioneer.  Some folks will do anything to win an item.