Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Shaler ?  (Read 4348 times)

John

Shaler ?
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
Gentlemen,
Question on unknown bullet. I do not collect so I am not up on the different types. After weeks of searching on the net with no real results I wanted to try this site to see if I can get an ID on a bullet.

The closest I can find is the smallest of the Shaler bullets. It is 14mm tall 13mm diameter. .45 oz.

Thank you for any help you may render.

Kind regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Shaler ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »
Welcome, John.  Are you able to post pictures?  Below are pictures of the 3 most common types of Shaler sectional bullets that I have.  Yours may look like this or one of the section pieces.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum John, I would also be interested in seeing a photo. Converting the mm to inches the diameter would fall in the .510 range and seems small for a Shaler section. Does it appear to have been fired or carved?

John

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:23:24 PM »
Gentleman,
Thank you for the greeting and the help. It was found near a smelting area for copper mining here in AZ. I tried to post photos but they were rejected as "too Large". I will ty it again.
The only part I have is the smallest one.
Thank you ,
John

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »
Hi John,

Welcome to bullet-nerd central.

I do not believe that this is a Shaler section...especially in light of the the fact it was recovered from the area of a smelting operation all the way out in AZ.  I suspect it is simply a "drop" of lead or other material or slag from that operation.  It does not look to have the characteristics or dimensions of a base section of Shaler's bullet.

John

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »
Thank you !
 I do have a box of bullets a gentleman now since passed that were dug at Fort Craig and Val Verde. That would take a year to do. I separated them into size and weight, and that took about two months. I just don't have the time to look each one up.

Perhaps I will put up the unknowns on the forum site.

TY all for your help.
Regards,
John