Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Heading to The Great State of Virginia!  (Read 6464 times)

gflower

Heading to The Great State of Virginia!
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »
Heading to the great state of Virginia in about a week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on out of the way battlefields or special sites for me to see. I hunted there over the years but did not spend real time going to the parks. Also can sneak off to Gettysburg and would like any insider tips you great fellows can give. Pete are you available for a tour? Thank you all in advance for your consideration. Gary

Selma Hunter

Re: Heading to The Great State of Virginia!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »
Gary,

Try the Pamplin Historical Park.  It has a very well done display of artifacts - one of the best I've seen.  It was the site of the "breakthrough" on the Petersburg perimeter.  One note - the display depicting the location of CS POW camps (usually described as "Castle this or that") has a glaring error regarding the location of Castle Morgan - the site of the Cahaba, Alabama facility.  Actually, it started life as a warehouse for cotton but never saw much use as such.

Enjoy Pamplin.  It is close enough for Pete to join you.

gflower

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Thank you very much. Spend a lot of time in the woods around the Howlett Line but never was able to get one of those 330 lb 3 water-capped  fused monsters! Have a lot of the frags but I know there is one still out there! Gary

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »
  Unfortunately, my availability to accompany you (or anybody else) on a tour of the local battlefields depends on the date. Having recently qualified for Medicare, I've got several long-delayed medical examinations coming up for the next several weeks.  I'm also at the scheduling whim of several contractors for electrical and plumbing upgrade work on my house. (Like the cable-guys... "We'll be there sometime between 8Am and 2PM on Tuesday, or maybe Friday.") However, you are welcome to stop by my house for a visit in the very-late-afternoon or suppertime. And of course, if you've got any dug "mystery relics" (or unknown frags or fuze parts, etc) that need ID, bring them.

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
Whats the Museum of the Confederacy like now?  The former Tredegar site with its museum?  Last time I was in Petersburg, I almost got mugged and then I got pulled over a couple miles away near the City Point site going 28 in a 25 mile an hour zone -- warning issued with a "we're not looking for guys like you here" comment that sounded familiar from my days living on the South Side of Chicago while a grad student. Helpfully, I pointed them to where they could find those kinds of guys where I had just been and sped off at 24mph.  Where is a sympathetic judge when you need one?

gflower

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 11:14:56 PM »
Pete if you shoot me your number I would love to give you a call. Mike sorry they are not as understanding in those little cash strapped counties but we here in the sunshine state are much more forgiving! The McDowell battlefield is mighty interesting and after I officiate over what is going to be both a long wedding and party I will get on the details. Any Gettysburg tips? Battlefield guides? 3 or 4 hour tours? Thanks again Gary

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
  Gary, I've sent you a PM.

Regards,
Pete

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
I walked the McDowell battlefield again a month ago. It's a better trip when there's no foliage. You can walk it from the Confederate perspective, pulling off of Rt. 250 before you get to the village, or the Yankee perspective, walking up to Sitlington's Hill from the village. (If you have two vehicles, park one in the valley, and walk all the way through, starting at the Rt. 250 pull off.) There is a small museum in the village.

In Richmond - The (former) Museum of the Confederacy is nice, but is headed downhill fast. It has merged with the politically correct Tredegar museum, changed its name (the word "Confederacy" was banned), and the mission is to tell its story from three perspectives. The White House of the Confederacy is right next to The (former) Museum of the Confederacy.

Also in Richmond - Hollywood Cemetery is beautiful. If you go, read about it first, figure out what you want to see, & either download a map (so you find what you're looking for), or visit when it's open (so you can ask for assistance & a map).

North of Richmond - the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Courthouse, Chancellorsville, & Fredericksburg are all close together. Chancellorsville & Fredericksburg have visitors' centers.

Petersburg is a big battlefield, with a lot of stations (you drive from one to another). On my last trip, a grossly overweight ranger was giving a talk to us, which quickly started to focus on the PC angle ("how would you feel if you were a slave?") was the last thing I heard her say before I took my exit. (I've been told there is a federal requirement that National Battlefield parks are required to cram that stuff down our throats, thanks to the not so Honorable Jessee Jackson, Jr. & others, maybe that's an urban legend.) The rest of my tour was great. When I got to the station that had the crater, there was only one other tourist, and the ranger was a good ole boy from Highland County (where the Village of McDowell is).

Drewey's Bluff (between Richmond & Petersburg) is a pretty spot, but it's not big & doesn't have a visitors' center.

There are the Manassas battlefields, Appomattox (The Museum of the Confederacy has a branch there, I haven't seen it), if you go to Gettysburg via I-81, both Harpers Ferry and Sharpsburg are close by.

If you hit Gettysburg - make sure you walk the charge route. Park near the Virginia monument on Seminary Ridge, there are two different paths cut through the fields, walk to Cemetery Ridge on one, walk back on the other. (Spray tick repellant on your feet & legs first!)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:20:44 PM by Lamar »

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 06:52:10 PM »
There are some very good sites in the Richmond area.  The listed here are generally from the Confederate perspective. 
I suggest that try to locate period photos to copy and take with you.  The before and after visual will greatly enhance your trek. Some of these are county parks, so you'll have to dig a little on line to find locations.
If you do go to Tredegar you can walk to the Belle Island site.

Battery Dantzler - A little overgrown, but a great view of Trent's Reach.  Watch for snakes.
Parker's Battery NPS -  Good remains, part of the Howlett Line at Bermuda Hundred.
Howlett Line Park - Hard to find.
Fort Stevens NPS - hard to find, but you can picture the guns sitting there.
Ware Bottom Church Battlefield - in my opinion the trenches are just as good as Pamplin or North Anna.  A hidden gem.
North Anna Battlefield Park - One of the best in quantity of fortifications.  172 acres with 6 miles of trails.  Get maps of
                                              the battle off of the Civil War Trust site before you go.  Located just north of Ashland
Cross Keys and Port Republic are worth stopping for if you're heading into the valley.  The Coaling at Port Republic is owned by the Civil War Trust and after you have climbed it, you can see it's strategic value.
Slaughter Mountain (Cedar Run) just south of Culpeper is a battlefield that has not changed much since it was fought.
Ignore the road and the big farm, and you have stepped back in time.
     Again, I suggest that you get your maps off of the Civil War Trust before you go.
I hope this is of some help to you and is not over whelming.  You'll need about a month of vacation time to see just some of it.  :)

Lamar
I do agree with you that the NPS sites are getting too politically correct.  But I do have to ask you what the ranger's weight has to do with NPS policy. (grossly overweight).  Does her weight make her unfit to be a ranger?  Do you judge all people by their appearance?  Standing in front a mirror came humble us all.
    Dan

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
Fort Stevens NPS - hard to find, but you can picture the guns sitting there.

Cross Keys and Port Republic are worth stopping for if you're heading into the valley.  The Coaling at Port Republic is owned by the Civil War Trust and after you have climbed it, you can see it's strategic value.

Lamar
I do agree with you that the NPS sites are getting too politically correct.  But I do have to ask you what the ranger's weight has to do with NPS policy. (grossly overweight).  Does her weight make her unfit to be a ranger?  Do you judge all people by their appearance?  Standing in front a mirror came humble us all.

My g-g-uncle commanded the Surry Light Artillery at Fort Stevens at the time of the Second Battle of Drewey's Bluff. That's him on my avatar - the same picture is posted at Fort Stevens.

Cross Keys and Port Republic are good for viewing, but you'll need to take your knowledge of the battles with you - there's not much there to tell you what you're looking at. If there, take a short detour west to Harrisonburg to see where Turner Ashby was killed right before Cross Keys. The visitors center in downtown Harrisonburg has a few films that are good.

Perhaps I was mean spirited in my description of the ranger, and I apologize if I offended you. However, she was a government employee, in uniform, hired to interact with the public, and either she was too big for her uniform, or it was too small for her, or both. She would have looked much better, in my opinion, if she and her uniform were the same size. The NPS has a policy that indicates appearance is important, and it is obvious that the policy wasn't being enforced at Petersburg. The uniform didn't look good on her, and she was way off the chart.
http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/workman4/vol4ac.htm
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:30:34 PM by Lamar »

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »
Do not miss the White Oak Museuam outside of Fredricksburg.
It will blow you away. An extreme diggers museum!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 08:03:41 PM »
Good call John on the White Oak Museum.  That's right up Gary's alley.

Lots of good sites from others.  Looks like I need to reacquaint myself with Virginia having moved from there 28 years ago now...

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »
Agree the White Oak Museum is mind boggling if you've ever been a digger.  A must see in my opinion:
        http://www.whiteoakmuseum.com/index.php

I really enjoy visiting Drewry's Bluff for some reason and stop every time I have the opportunity.  Since it is located right by I-95 above Petersburg it is convenient.  The earthworks are massive and there is a well known period image from the same position posted on a plaque that is cool.

One place I've not been to but have read a bit on is High Bridge just west of Petersburg.  They've turned the railroad bridge into a foot path and I hear it is quite neat.  It is located a few miles east by northeast of Farmville.  Sailor's Creek battlefield is just east of High Bridge and while I've not been there either it would be convenient to take them both in at the same time.
Best,
Carl

gflower

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
Wow! It sure is great of all of you to take your time to get me pointed in the right direction! Just got in from doing a Vietnamese wedding which started this morning at 9:30 and progressed all day ending with the just finished reception. Will be on my ipad all night and tomorrow too! Thank you all again. Will start my planning with all of this great info. ( as a side note you are right about The area around Danzler, loaded with snakes, rattlers copper heads and of course my local favorites the good ole cotton mouth. But that being said still a lot of iron in them parts.) Will keep you updated. Gary