Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Shell Storage  (Read 19706 times)

John M. Brooke

Shell Storage
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:11:40 AM »
This question might seem a little odd, but I will ask it anyway. Im not big on having my shells out in plain sight for everyone
to see. I have concerns about people that don't understand the hobby calling the bomb squad or something stupid like that. All
my shells and connon balls are safe and inert. What is the best way to store shells long term? I have some that are not coated
they are in such good condition I hate to spray them down with poly. It does get humid in the house during the summer and I have fears of finding these shells covered in red rust.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Shell Storage
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:54 AM »
1) Why have them if you cant have them out and enjoy them?
2) why have someone in your home you cannot trust?
3) Why not have them in a seperate room of the house where only those who you want to see them can go into?

This is my opinion of the security part of your posting.
                                                                       Jay
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »
        I understand what John is saying. I am having my heat pump replaced today, and the hvac workers will be working in my house too. So, I spent an hour or two last night rounding up stuff and placing it where no "casual eyes " will fall on them.        Invited guests into my home would not be a problem, but this is out of my control for who comes to replace my system.
      John,     I would put the shells out in the hot sun for a day or two to cook out any moisture. Then let them cool down and coat them with a spray poly clear. It might not be what you want to do, but it's best to preserve the relic as best you can, especially if they will be in a humid enviroment as you say.
      By the way, any relation to a certain John Brooke that lived about 150 years ago ??!!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
I prepared my house to put on the market a while back and dutifully packed away all my shells.  I left the solid projectiles out, but I understand the fear of some nosey neighbor on a house tour freaking out and causing lots of trouble even though all my projectiles are safe as well.

I am not sure I would feel compelled to coat projectiles that are stable and have been for a long, long time.  I have a lot of early pick-ups and non dug shells that are nice as they are and I see no reason to coat them.  Now I don't live in the same environment as David does (he lives on the coast) and that could be a factor.  Also, my stored shells are now in a nice, cool basement but some places like Texas or coastal areas don't have basements.

The ones I did pack away I started crating them.  I made wooden crates from plywood that look like ammo crates and lined them with the foam padding that goes under rugs.  I wrapped each projectile individually in old linens, towels or socks and put them in there so they wouldn't roll around.

I have a lot of projectiles, however, and this crating business became a pain in the neck.  After 8 or 10 were made, I met a fellow who has a small dairy business and he had no problem giving me all the cubical and bigger rectangular milk crates I wanted (sometimes small quantities of beer was exchanged back).  So, I started using these in a similar packing fashion as above, except I cut out a piece of plywood for the bottom of each plastic crate so the projectiles wouldn't deform or break through the bottom over time.

Unfortunately, since I packed them up I have had reason to go through the boxes a few times and that too is a pain in the neck.  Last time I went through them, I made tags on index cards for each crate and listed the contents.

I guess what you ultimately do will be driven by circumstances such as the environment and quantity of projectiles you have to store.  This has worked ok for me so far.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:44:38 AM by emike123 »

alwion

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
This interests me also, not so much from  security standpoint , but storage. My basement has only had a drain backup 2x in 25 years, and I would overall consider it a "dry" basement. I have never put a sword, bayonet or shell down there for fear even a good basement would be too damp because of the concrete will draw moisture.  Its humid here alot anyway, and didn't want to aggravate any potential rust, but an artifact room down there would be ideal, so...      is cool dry basement better than warm dry ( gun safes have a heater to drive moisture out), and is there a % humidity which would be ideal? My better items are in gun safes, but have too much to put in, and once crammed full, we are back to some work to enjoy them.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »
My basic Earth Science from 5th grade taught me warm air carries moisture better than cold.  I agree not to put the items in direct contact with the cement as some sort of wicking occurs.  I have not had basement water, but figure if I did, I could deal with it with iron projectiles.  Swords and guns would be a different matter.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »
  John, the "fresh" rust you are worried about would be caused by humidity... so buy a de-humidifier that's big enough to keep your relic room dehumdified.  (Just don't forget to empty its collection tank.)

Regarding nosey visitors... if you don't have a relic room and therefore your shells are in a visitor-accesible room, cover your collection with a king-size sheet (or a painter's dropcloth) when visitors are expected.  Explain to the visitors that you're about to do some overhead painting ...or that the cover is to keep the kids and pets out of your stuff.

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »
Good point on the dehumidifier, Pete.  I have two in my basement -- one drains automatically into the sump pump well.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »
  I forgot to mention, about the gonna-be-painting-soon "dropcloth" method of concealing your collection from nosey visitors, remember to put a paintcan and paintbrush next to the dropcloth.

Emike... I thought about the dehumidifier because I was dismayed to see what happened to the Archers that I dug at Ellison's Mill.  After I ran them through electrolysis, they looked almost non-excvated, and I figured they didn't need to be coated.  They stayed pristine for all the years I owned them.  Apparently the guy I sold them to did not keep them in a climate-controlled environment ...and by the time you bought them from him, they'd developed that thin fresh rustiness which John is worried about.

Regards,
Pete

John M. Brooke

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
Thanks for all the good advise, I'm glad I'm not the only one paranoid about rust.     
The read, broun, and archer shells I store in individual doll display boxes that are the
perfect size along with one or two silica gel packs. I wasnt to sure what to do with the
Larger balls. I'm a big fan of many of you, Pete your book is one of my prized possessions. I live about twenty minutes north of Lexington Virginia and on a recent visit to stonewall cemetery discovered john Brooke was buried there so I used his name as my handle.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »
  John, thank you for the kind words.  I live in the Richmond area, so if you are ever planning a trip to that vicinity, let me know.  You are welcome to visit my home and see some civil war artillery "goodies."  Also, I'll sign your copy of the book to you personally.

Regards,
Pete

Jine

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 05:35:16 AM »
John,

I'm in eastern Augusta County so it appears that we're neighbors. We need to compare notes sometime and maybe head over Richmond-way. I'd threatened Pete with a visit before ;), so maybe we could go together and buy him a cup of coffee, or lunch. He's been a tremendous help to me a time or two over the "'net".
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

John M. Brooke

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
Pete, I would greatly appreciate the chance to meet and to see your collection. Just to give you some backgound information
about me. I started collecting about three or four years ago at the age of 29. I did my homework and purchased the appropriate
reference books first. I finally made up my mind on a shell that Harry had for sale. So I made the trip up to Winchester to pick
it up in person. Harry was super nice, and I learned alot about artillery shells and civil war relics in general. Not to mention a wealth of knowledge about Virginia Tech football ( I think he knows as much about college football as he does relics). After that
visit I knew the hobby was for me. I also realized that the relics I buy are never really mine, I just bought the right to take care of them for awhile. They will always belong to the soldiers.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »
John, Jine - I live in Staunton (I'm Tom McPherson, "Lamar" came from Lamar Fontaine, a distant relative who saw a lot of action, wrote about it, & who might be the biggest liar who fought in the War Between the States).

John, a good time to catch Pete is at one of the Richmond relic shows. The next one is Aug. 18 & 19.

http://www.nstcivilwar.com/cgi-bin/show.asp

Pete - can I pick up that James shell at the show?

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »
I keep all my shells in one room of the house, away from view if I don't wish them to be seen. Oddly enough, an interior designer, an artist, who is heading up a mild restoration of the old part of my house to something more fitting to the mid 1800s, suggested that the shells are sculptural in appearance, and a few should be on display around the house.

Not sure I agree, since some people do react viscerally to these death packages.