Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Really Rare Find  (Read 14475 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Really Rare Find
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »
Hello,

I got a some images recently from a friend who found and conserved a really rare and beautiful shell I thought I'd share with everyone.  Pictured is a 6-inch Cochran shell that Chris found in the Charleston area.  It has been running in electrolysis for quite some time now but as you can see it turned out wonderfully.  Really a super rare shell.  It is page 206 in Jack Bell's book.  The word rare gets thrown around a lot in this (and other) collecting hobbies but it really applies here.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:13:54 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Really Rare Find
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:38:18 PM »
Here are a couple images of the base and nose:
Best,
Carl

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »
My Lord! I have never seen anything like that. Gorgeous.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
Carl,
   A handsome specimen indeed.  And it came from Charleston? Where in Charleston? Fuzing similar to West Point? How about a well lighted view of the base. It is the first base view that I have seen. Indeed it is a rare specimen.  I have only seen one other one in the hands of Dan Poppen, NWI Dahlgren, VA
See my book page 65-67.
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:08:50 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
I am not sure where in Charleston it was found and not sure the digger would divulge publicly a more exact location unless he felt no need to hunt it anymore.  I know I wouldn't.  As it was found only a bit over a year ago I suspect it is still a valid spot.  The digger is a lurker on this forum so he can speak up if he so chooses.

I'll see what I can do about the images.

Thanks for the sabot images you posted.  I have a piece of sabot nearly exactly like it.  RelicRunner found a couple pieces at, I think, the Franklin Show a couple years ago (correct me if I'm wrong RelicRunner) and I was fortunate enough to add one to my collection.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »
I have always liked Cochran shells.  They were also used at Roanoke Island and I saw some in a very small private museum 6pdr took me to there.  I had a chance to buy a non dug one once with a basecup that unscrewed nicely and I procrastinated (actually bought way too much other stuff from the fellow).  When I went back to get that one and some others he decided he didn't want to sell anymore stuff  >:( 

I snoozed and I losed!~

Congrats to Officer Chris! 

Cap and Ball

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
 All I will say is that I found the shell near a river south of Charleston area and ran it through electrolysis for over two years. Thanks for the kind comments. Chris

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 06:08:23 PM »
one of the prettiest, unique and rarest shells I have seen dug.   Congratulations !!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
Cap and Ball, hmmmm, don't believe we have met.:)  I have yet to finish "Siege Train" and wonder if Cochran shell accounts will be mentioned in it. It would be fantastic if we could get photos of the sabot when unscrewed from the shell. Carl at least give us a well focused shot of the sabot in the cleanest part of the band.
Dan never did say where his came from, or if he did I don't remember. Jack Bell's book also suggests SC and NC.
I understand that people desire to protect their dig sites, however just reporting a find from the Charleston area does not make it a just one. But I believe you.:)
Kind Regards,
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »
Mike,
   Is there a chance you can get back to your friend that has the removable sabot and take some closeups of the insides and the outward appearances.
   Here we have a great battlefield dig  and a specimen that can produce some excellent images to disclose the fine details of this rare Union shell. what a great find. It and  the one at West Point are the best I have seen.
Carl did you clean it or disarm it? I wonder if this one has the plunger (striker) spring mentioned in the patent. Does anyone know which gunboat had a 6 inch gun on board?
Kind Regards,
John

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »
beautiful shell Chris and a great job conserving it!!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 09:56:27 PM »
Here are a couple images Chris took of it when first found.  So now we know it was found in a muddy location.  Can't be too many of them around Charleston!  :)
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Image of base and fuse when first found.   Note in the base view the person standing in the hole quite deep in the mud.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:58:42 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
John,

To answer your questions, no I did not clean or disarm it.  Chris did that.  I did see it in a tank once while in Charleston and was pretty blown away then.  Chris has done a great job on it and it looks even better than when I saw it.
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 08:27:29 AM »
Nice and so well preserved!!