Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Artillery Tools  (Read 12485 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Artillery Tools
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »
Mike,       yes, you are correct

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
Good afternoon
     Here are a couple of pics of three CS Vent picks in my collection.  All for siege/garrison artillery.  They measure in shank length: 16.50, 16.75, and 14.50.  All are the correct .165 in diameter.  This diameter measurement is from the 1849 Mordecai  in which he states the diameter on the gimlets and priming wires were made of #8 wire.  At that time the Birmingham Gauge was the gauge used for wire.  #8 wire on the Birmingham Gauge is .165.  That's .010 clearance for the .175 gun vent.

Dave posted: "I have at least two wood 't' handle gimlets that are original marked J.A.D., so we know they were used".

What is the exact diameter of these gimlets?
I' m assuming that you believe that J.A.D. is an inspector stamp.  I have an extensive list of inspectors both Us and CS
and the only one with those initials is naval John A.  Dahlgren.  He inspected artillery and flare pistols.  My lists are of known inspectors.  It is not guaranteed complete.   It may be proof that carpenter's gimlets were being inspected, not wooden artillery gimlets.

God Bless
Dan

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
Hello Dan,
  That is neat info. BTW I had a nice two hour visit and pleasant surprise from member Ed McCaul.  A great chat.
All the Best,
john