Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Ganster Concussion Fuze;  (Read 11860 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Ganster Concussion Fuze;
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
To All Interested;
      Attached below is my study of the Ganster Concussion Fuze. A cousin to the Tice Concussion Fuze, both are rare.
Tice fuzes have been recovered and I am wondering if any Gansters have been found?
      By the very sensitive nature of each, duds were seldom found. I have yet to see a fired specimen of either fuze so I am unable to estimate the explosive power when the glass capsule ignites the powder within.
Regards,
John aka Bart
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:49:11 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Ganster Concussion Fuze;
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I think Dave the Plumber may have a fired Tice, or at least he did at one point.  Mine is unfired and the one in Jones with the slot cut out to show the workings but no vial of nytroglycerine or whatever it was because I remember when I bought it worrying one of my then small children might drop one that wasn't deactivated and blow off their foot.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
Mike,
     All sorts of ingredients have been claimed to be inside the glass vial including mercury fulminate, however Ganster's patent says otherwise.  NG had not hit the scene yet.
      When the glass vial is crushed by the lead balls on impact the acid reacts with the vial's outer coating to produce a violent flame, not a detonation.  This ignites the fine powder impregnated into the cotten waste to ignite the main black powder charge.
      As a Scout in my younger years, we started a camp fire remotely by dumping sulphuric acid on a 50/50 mix of potassium clorate and dextrose which produced a very large flame to start the fire and puzzle everyone as to how this happened with no one near the fire.
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:20:48 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Time Concussion Fuze;
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
To All Interested;
     Although this was a post on the former Forum, I am posting the Tice Fuze so a comparision may be made with the Ganster Fuze.
Regards,
John aka Bart
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:53:01 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:59 PM »
John,
I found Two(2) "TICE" Fuzes years ago in a  "Fuze Catche",of about 35 assorted fuzes ( mixed US & CS,Time, Percussion & Concussion) these had been removed from unfired C.S or,dud U.S. rd's or picked up from exploded shells shortly after the fall of Ft. Fisher ( C.W. Ord. Dept. work ? ). The Fuzes,had been dumped in a hole,along  with several Austrian Bayonets ,a huge smashed Coffee pot and 14 perfect HT&B MANCHESTER Stippled  "A" Buttons. I found the items shortly after  Hurrican Hazel in 1954.
Both Fuzes had minimal damage. A friend now deceased found another that I had thrown out while digging the hole (No metal Detectors in those days,just shovels and sifters) that one also had min. damage.
Some place I have  copy of both GANSTER's &  TICE's patent in which if I remember correctly they list the Chemicals used.When I find it,I'll send you a copy.
Best Wishes:
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. USA. Ret.
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Tice Concussion Fuze, pat. 38994
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
Additional Note:
    Quote from patent #38994, Tice Fuze:
    "I propose to use in the chamber s a mixture of about three parts, by weight, of fulminate of silver and one part of cotton, gun-cotton, sawdust, or other soft material, the soft material being to prevent accidental or premature explosion; and I place in the said chamber, both before and behind the fulminate mixture, small cushions v v, or wads of cotton, or other soft material; but I prefer to use gun-cotton at the rear end.  The whole tube l is lined with a piece of cotton, flannel, or other soft cloth, u, to form a lining for the chamber s.  The cup n contains a small charge, W, of gunpowder, to ignite the bursting charge of the shell, and between the gunpowder and the fulminate mixture in the chamber s, I place in the mouth of the tube l a little fulminate of quicksilver to insure the ignition of the charge of gunpowder in the cup n, the fulminate of silver sometimes, owing to its extremely rapid combustion, failing to ignite gunpowder, though it will ignite the fulminate of mercury, which, burning more slowly and with a stronger flame, will ignite the gunpowder."

Regards,
John

Lt12pdr

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »
John,
I have the two Tice fuses that are shown in Chuck Jones's book,page 107,top left.I also have the 12 ball on the previous page.If there is any measurements you might need from these please let me know.
With Regards,
Michael Cherry

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
michael,
    Thank you I have emailed you.
John

natdigger

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 03:06:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me a couple things about the Ganster fuse? First, what does the top piece measure across? And second is it threaded and screw down into the body of the fuse?
Thanks, I think I might have just picked up a top piece to one in a fuse collection I just got.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »
Chuck Jone's fuse book doesn't give any info on the cap; only the fuse body.  The fuse head is shown to be 1.25 inches in diameter so the centercap is likely close to 1 inch.  The cap is thin with only 2 or 3 threads on it.  The patent date for this fuse was April 5,1864 so it is a late war fuse.
Best,
Carl

natdigger

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:47:56 PM »
It measures 1" across. And has 2 threads on it. It also came from a very late war fuse collection.