Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Britten Percussion Fuse  (Read 14253 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Britten Percussion Fuse
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
It was in a 3.5in Britten shell and more info is here:

http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/item.php?id=U00304

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
Thanks Mike,  Last two questions??
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »
2nd to last:  No
Last:  Shallow rings which you may not be able to see in the pictures but are there.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
John,
You quoted,

This ring of lead may be sometimes dispensed with, and the striker left quite free. When the shell has been charged with powder, this outer case with the other parts described (Figure 3) is screwed into the aperture of the shell, and thus the 20 charged shell may be retained without danger of explosion. At any moment before being inserted in the gun, the outer cover f can be readily unscrewed with the hand, and an ordinary percussion cap placed on the nipple h. The outer cover being replaced, the shell may be rammed into the gun and fired."
     Never having seen one with any lead or remains of lead leads me to believe that it was dispensed with as not being necessary.  I am referring to the type of striker with rings as shown in my previous post.
God Bless
Dan

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 07:26:56 AM »
Mike, do you think this was one where the safety lug was omitted and they put th cap on just before firintg?
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »
We found no signs of the lead plug in the fuse or the shell we cut open to salvage this fuse.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
Mike,
   If the shell was fired and failed to detonate, then the plug must have dropped at setback into the powder or wasn't used to begin with.  "See my long post".
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
  Bart, none of the forum-members who've replied in this discussion say they've seen the lead ring in the "collarless" version of Britten Percussion fuze. Therefore, apparently, the only version of Britten Percussion fuse found in America which had the lead ring is the hex-collar version.

According to the fuze-book by Jones, the hex-collar version has only been seen in America in "Preston" (hex-flanged Blakely/Scott shells).

In my opinion, there are two reasons why it seems unlikely that the Confederates manufactured any Britten Percussion fuzes.
1- The Britten Percussion fuze had a very low successful-detonation rate in comparison to the Archer fuze. So, it seems unlikely that the Confederates would manufacture copies of a poor-performing foreign fuze when they already had the well-performing Archer fuze.
2- Apparently, the  Britten Percussion fuzes are always "yellow brass"... which seems to have been so scarce a metal in the wartime South that the Confederates had to use copper or "red/orange" (high-copper-content) brass for the vast majority of their fuzes. I've never seen, or even heard of, a Britten fuze which is made of copper or red/orange brass... only yellow-brass.

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
Pete,
     As you can see the ones from Fort Branch were yellow brass and had the lead safety plug. You would think that the C.S. would have removed the poor performance Britten fuze and replaced it with one of theirs.  Same for the Blakely shells that used them. In my post on page one that shows several Britten style fuzes, they are like the Britten fuze but yet different. Since I do not own one, never held one, I just assumed they were C S. made. Thanks for your correction.
Kind Regards,
John aka Bart
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:55:22 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
Dan,
  sorry I missed your post.  My quote came from the patent paper.  Without the lead plug it is no wonder the striker wobbled,, became canted and were duds.
   Does anyone know when Fort Branch was an active fort and why these fuzes with the lead safety plug was being used? Was Branch an early or late war fort?
John
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:58:17 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
John,

Here is the historical timeline of the fort:
     http://www.fortbranchcivilwarsite.com/history-timeline.aspx
While the fort was built in 1862, the only real battle was in December 1864. 
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
Carl,
   Thank you for the Fort Branch web site. I now wonder where, in the fort, the three fuzes with lead plugs were found? I quess the final question is who removed the plugs, C.S. or U.K. Thanks everyone for your input and especially Pete for bring me back to perspective.
Kind Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
  You're welcome, Bart.  Here is some additional info.

John D. Bartleson Jr. wrote:
> You would think that the C.S. would have removed the poor performance Britten fuze
> and replaced it with one of theirs.

All of the Britten fuzes (percussion and time) had left-twist threading, which of course had to match the threading in the shells. So, the Confederates faced an additional problem in the prospect of removing the poor performance Britten fuze from the shell and replacing it with one of theirs. It would have to be made with left-twist threading. The Confederates actually did do that, with one of the rarest of all variations of CS timefuze adapter plugs. One is shown in the group photo in this discsussion. It has left-twist threading, like all the British-made Britten fuzes.

Using a Percussion fuze in a case-shot shell is wasteful, because the case-shot balls/slugs/wedges will only hit the solid object the fuze detonates on. So, the Confederates removed the Britten Percussion fuze from some 3.5" Britten Case-Shot shells, and replaced it with a CS-made timefuze plug which had left-twist threading.

That is Reason #3 why (in my opinion) the Confederates did not make any copies of the Britten Percussion fuze. Not only was that fuze poor-performing, to use it in Britten shells you'd have to manufacture your copy with left-twist threading -- which meant it could be used ONLY in certain types of scarce imported British-made shells.  Better to just make lots of well-performing Archer fuzes, with the standard American right-twist threading.

Regards,
Pete

Regards,
Pete 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
IN addition to what Pete said:

So, the Confederates removed the Britten Percussion fuze from some 3.5" Britten Case-Shot shells, and replaced it with a CS-made timefuze plug which had left-twist threading.

The Yankees undoubtedly took them out and used wood fuse adapters for time fuses.  None of the 3-inch Brittens from West Helena, Arkansas have fuses yet they have threaded fuse holes.  I've seen a couple with wood remnants in them.  Additionally I know a fellow who found about 16 3.5-inch Brittens at another battle with 4 of them having the percussion fuses and the rest with no metal in the fuse holes.  A couple of the ones with no Britten fuse had a reasonably good wood fuse adapter preserved in them and some others had wood pieces that washed out when flushed. Both groups were fired by US troops.  So in addition to the copper fuse plug Pete mentions for the Confederate use,  the Yanks drove wood time adapters into them presumably to deal with the poorly performing percussion fuse.  But I might also add that both battlefields have rather soft soil so perhaps the percussions would bury before going of and were totally ineffective.  I'm not sure if they used a standard tapered wood adapter or they somehow fabricated one to fit the threaded fuse hole of the shell.
Best,
Carl

rommack

• Email
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing a shell I dug at Port Hudson with the striker froze forward after it had struck
the dome cap so violently it had distorted the nipple.  Apparently the percussion cap failed to explode or was jarred
loose before impact.