Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Britten Percussion Fuse  (Read 14251 times)

John M. Brooke

Britten Percussion Fuse
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:57:10 PM »
The Britten Percussion Fuse working or not working all depended on a musket cap firing. I was wondering if
these caps were just any old musket caps or were special caps developed just for these fuses?

redbob

• Email
Re: Britten Percussion Fuse
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
The one that I have just seems to have a unfired regular appearing percussion cap on it.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
Brooke,
  The Brittan Percussion Fuze used a standard top hapt cap.  Your drawing has a missing section, that of the cut ring around the fuze tail and the lead safety plub that retained the striker intil setback or impact.  Several reproductions are around and have a smooth tail with no ring or rings.
Below is a disassembled fuze as it came from the Fort.
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
The reproduction fuze at top and the real U.K. striker at bottom.
John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:56:39 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
John,

Have any strikers been found in the US like the one your bottom image shows?  All that I've seen (and I'll admit that is not a lot) found around here are like the one Scott has in the original posting with the shallow rings on the taper.  I don't recall ever seeing one with the deep groove as you show.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Carl,
     The bottom fuze striker came from the fuze in my first post and was one of three that came from Fort Branch, in the Roanoke River.
    In my opinion, the strikers that have numerous lathe marks of of C.S. manufacture. I also believe that all the others shown below are C.S. I have a copy of Britten's patent if anyone is interested.
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:02:54 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »
I have one from Fort Caswell installed in a shell.  I'll look at the striker when I get home this evening to see what it has on it.  It's grooved, but I can't remember if it is deep or not.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »
Sir would you post two photos one in the shell and a closeup out of shell.
John

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
John
Here's a pic of two strikers in my collection.
Dan

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:30:47 PM »
Hi Dan,
   Not having the one centrally located retention groove like the U.K. lower striker in my post I have to assume that both of yours are C.S. manufacture, unfortunately I cannot prove them so.
   Were yours from Britten or Blakely shells?
Joyhn

John M. Brooke

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
Thanks all,

Its good to see some great pictures and get some info on a fuze I rarely see at shows or anywhere else for that matter.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »
Dan,
Below is a copy and paste excerpt from Bashley britten's patent 585 of 1861:
"For causing the explosion of the bursting charge of such shells, the ordinary time or concussion fuzes may be used, or the arrangement of which a longi¬tudinal section is shewn in Figure 3 can be employed. f is a cylindrical case 10 of suitable material (metal preferred) open at one end, and having a somewhat contracted aperture at the other. This outer case has a screw thread exter¬nally. g is a moveable piece or striker, one end of which is formed with a nipple to receive a percussion cap at h ; k is a metallic cap or cover screwed
on to the case f ; 1 is a ring of lead or other material tightly driven into the 15 space between the outer case and the striker so as to retain the latter in its place till released by the concussion at the discharge of the gun. This ring of lead may be sometimes dispensed with, and the striker left quite free. When the shell has been charged with powder, this outer case with the other parts described (Figure 3) is screwed into the aperture of the shell, and thus the 20 charged shell may be retained without danger of explosion. At any moment before being inserted in the gun, the outer cover f can be readily unscrewed with the hand, and an ordinary percussion cap placed on the nipple h. The outer cover being replaced, the shell may be rammed into the gun and fired."
    Unfortunately it does not describe the striker tail arrangement of groove or groovesand the drawing is not that clear in that area. When I made the drawing of his patent the detail of the tail was so poor that I used an example of modern day and as you would guess it turned out to be a multi-groove C.S.
The Fuzes from Fort Branch, NC, I think should be used as the norm from U.K.
Regards,
John

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:24:14 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
I just finally got one of these fuses to unscrew (without trashing the head with channel locks as so many do) and out popped the percussion cap on the right which looks identical to a musket percussion cap on the left in this picture.  The slider is still fused inside the lower threaded portion of the fuse so working on it still.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
I've had pretty good luck using "strap" wrenches.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
Mike, what projectile was it in?  I don't see the lead safety plug, is it still in the fuze fody? What type of grooves was on the striker tail?
Johhn
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:58:50 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »