Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: A Big Whitworth  (Read 6863 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
A Big Whitworth
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:34:52 AM »
Hello,

I thought I'd post this to show everyone a shell I got to clean recently.  You see the occasional field Whitworth but this is a big boy Whitworth.  It is a 6.4-inch or 100-lber shell:

It has a threaded adapter presumably to be fitted with the fuse:

Provenance is not known on this shell.  I put an image of me holding it to give it perspective:

I haven't weighed it but it seems heavier than it looks to me especially given that it has a large empty cavity.  But here is a link to Jack Bell's book on heavy artillery at the Whitworth section and referencing this size shell where he indicates it weighs 103 pounds:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:37:39 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

pipedreamer65

• Email
Re: A Big Whitworth
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »
I got to view a few of those close up this past January in the back room of the North Carolina Underwater Archeology Lab.  They were from the Blockade Runner Ella of course.  I just wonder what kind of destruction those would have done if the rifles that fired them made it over.

Thanks for the great image.  You did a good job. Those big boys can be difficult to finish.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
A real beauty (the shell)and Carl appears to be a pleasant looking young man also.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
Thanks Redbob!  I am a few years past young at 55 but can't complain.

It is the longest shell I've cleaned at 21 inches.  The 200-lber and 300-lber Parrotts are longer (and much, much heavier) but I've not had an opportunity to clean one of those.

PipeDreamer65: Are those you saw available for viewing by the public?  I believe the North Carolina Underwater Archeology Lab is located there at the Ft. Fisher park, correct?  Maybe when I get a chance to visit DaveThePlumber and DiveDigger out that way I can take a gander at those too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:30:20 PM by emike123 »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Nice work Carl.  A cool shell for sure.

Here is a link to some interesting reading and vintage photographs about some of the blockade runner wrecks, including the Ella, around Wilmington, NC:

http://www.archaeology.ncdcr.gov/ncarch/UAB/pdf%20Files/Cape%20Fear%20Civil%20War%20Shipwreck%20Register.pdf

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
I believe it is classed as a 90 lb. Whitworth shell.  Can you determine what fuze was in it?
Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 12:51:10 PM »
John,

Jack's book calls it a 100-lber and the shell weights over 100 pounds.    The bolt would likely weigh at least that much.  Plus the 6.4-inch size is in line with what we call a 100-lber in the US.  Do you have a reference indicating it should be a 90-lber?

Regarding the fuse, good question.  I only know what is in Jack Bell's book which says "Navy Watercap".  I tried a CS Watercap fuse and it was way too small in diameter to fit the threads.  I tried a US Watercap with a bushing and it was slightly too big.  So I'm not sure what might fit it.

PipeDreamer65: Did any you saw from the Ella have something different in the fuse hole?
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
They were fitted with those English Whitworth shipping plugs.  It is obviously missing in this one and the one shown in the book.  What fuse would then go in once the shipping plug was removed is a good question.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Carl,
   No reference, I had heard the Brits refer to it as a 90 pdr.  Could there be one between the 5 inch and the 6.4 inch??  Not sure now. Fuzing for Whitworths projos is not well documented except for the two shown below: No I.D. on top fuze but since the lower fuze has a detonating ball above the ring of fulminate it is probably a Pettman design.
John

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:44:27 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »
As I recall, they were outfitted with the shipping plugs emike speaks of.  They have a perfect example inside the Fort Fisher museum from the Ella.

The Underwater Lab is not open to the public.  People can't just walk up and go in.  But, I would imagine if you called and requested a tour or look inside, they would probably oblige if your time schedule was flexible.   I attended a seminar which included a walkthrough of the lab and some storage areas.  A friend of mine was the key to the back room.   Incredible stuff in there.  I made some images which I will upload soon.  I even have pictures of the whitworth case shot shell that was a matter of discussion some months ago.   

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »
Pipedreamer /Mike,
    Below is my rendering of the Whitworth fuse hole closure/shipping and stroage plug.
There is a loop of heavy twine inserted through the two holes in the plug to form a handling loop for pulling the shells from their boses.
It is not for a fuse!!
Regards,
]John
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:22:44 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
No, these would be removed so a fuse could be threaded in its place presumably.  Here is a picture of a shipping plug from the Ella purportedly, but it is not with Carl and this projectile so we don't as of now know if it fits.  I'll try to get the measurements and send them along next week.  Meanwhile this one does not have the holes for the twine that the one in your drawing has.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »
Would take a big piece of rope and a strong arm and tough hand to carry this big one around with a rope handle.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »
Gents, please look again at my drawing the top two  views at right have no provisions for the twine.  Yes Carl, the large shells do not have the rope handles , they are not in cassions.
Members that collect my drawings look back and you will see what fuzes are used when this fuze plug is used.

John
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:29:18 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »
Mike,  what does the base view of your plug look like/
Thanks,
John