Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cannon Ball Basics  (Read 5902 times)

alwion

• Email
Cannon Ball Basics
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »
I know this is too basic for most of you fellas, and one of you probably wrote it, but I thought it well laid out with lots of pictures for stupid me, so thought I would post this link. If One person learns something, the space is never a waste:)

http://www.pochefamily.org/Books/SolidShotEssentialsMod.html

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Cannon Ball Basics
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Thanks for posting here for convenience.  You'll find this site already linked with permission off our main web page (www.bulletandshell.com) on the left menu.  There are some other informative links there as well that some members might find useful or interesting.  If anyone knows of a site that would be good to share, please pass it on.
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
case of read everything 1st, post after thought. I'm kinda like a comp. push a button, get an opinion right or wrong, show me something new, and I want to share. sorry I'd delete this posting if we have a link already :-X

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
No deletion needed.  As I said "Thanks for posting here for convenince".  I was just pointing out where it and other hopefully informative links could be found.  It was also a blatent request by me for more good links that Mike and I can add to the site.
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »
All -

FWIW, I have a small supply of Stanley Pi (Diameter) tapes.  They are 1/4" X 10' and measure to the nearest 64th.  I have been selling them at the few relic shows I attend for $10.00.  Anybody wants one I'll provide free S&H - 1st class in a padded envelope.  They are not heavy duty but will give good service if used carefully - I'm still using my original tape.

I'm also going to start selling my lead collection.  I still have a few nice examples but don't ask for a list - I don't have one.  I'll dig'em out a few at a time to list somewhere here on the forum.

The Poche/George article is a good one to have linked here.  There is hardly a month that passes that someone doesn't stick their "grandaddy's civil war cannonball" under my nose for "confirmation".  Usually produces an unhappy camper by the end of the (normally short) conversation.  This link will keep me from being the bad guy.

Selma Hunter

alwion

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:13:24 AM »
I looked, missed our link if there was one. Thought this was put together well
http://robinsonsbattery.org/4001.html

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »
Selma Hunter, what is this pi tape?. It sounds like something I would like to have.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
Would be good to have. A Pi or diameter tape allows you to wrap the tape around a circle, and tells you the exact diameter. Example, wrap it around a parrot, and it will show you its a 2.9" , 3" or whatever, without having to use large calipers or book ends and a regular tape like I have in the past. Logger use them to tell how wide a tree is also:)

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
Just some friendly advice:
  When using a Pi (Diameter) tape, it's simple to get an accurate measurement of a cylinder.  But it's tricky when using on a sphere.  You've got to be extra-extra careful to fit the tape EXACTLY on the ball's "equator" and KEEP it exactly there.  The tape stubbornly tends to slide down while you pull it around the ball.  I've found from personal experience that it's a good idea to have an extra pair of hands available to hold the Pi tape exactly on the "equator."   If the tape slips even a little, you won't get an accurate diameter measurement.

Regards,
Pete

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
yes I would like to have one of those. I use a tape measure and a math book with the tables in it. It would be nice to cut out that book. If you would send me a message how to get one I will paypal or whatever you want. Great, thanks 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
I got my Pi tape at the Ace Hardware and it's made by Stanley Tool (Product number: 33-115).  They are only $10 and small enough that it's easy to keep around.  They are not build for everyday use and the tape is only 10" long so only good for items up to around 36" diameter.  :)  If you're local Ace doesn't have it you can probably order it online or ask the local guy to get one.  If that won't work, let me know and I'll get one as the local store here carries them.   And no jokes from Mike about Georgians thinking Pi is a desert made to be eaten or thrown.
Best,
Carl