Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Indian wars shell?  (Read 5620 times)

alwion

• Email
Indian wars shell?
« on: July 27, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
i've looked at this a few times, and wasn't sure just what it was. Dia is posted at 2.94" and length at 7 3/4 " , weight 10 3/4 lbs. Being sold as a conf read bolt, but sabot is very odd  ring of lead with an iron flat base, so pretty sure that wasn't right. does look like for a muzzle loader though. Forgive my ignorance if it's common and I should have known  lol

joevann

• Email
Re: Indian wars shell?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
Welcome to my realm.  This is a 20th century 75mm (2.95-inch) proof round.  Breech loader and fixed ammo.  The copper band at the bourrelet is so the rifling isn't damaged during proof firing at higher than service pressures.  The one at the rear is a standard rotating band. The Confederacy was fresh only in the minds of some graybeards recalling their salad days when this was made.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
Thanks amazing how a similar idea carried over so long

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:26:37 AM »
Interesting shell to say the least.  I like it. very neat sabot.  A bit more practical version of the Hotchkiss (iron bottom forces lead into the rifling) yet still has the bourrelets to reduce wear on the tube.

I'm also surprised that a proof round like this made after the war would have such a casting flaw in the side.
Best,
Carl

joevann

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
I'm going on this photo, and that sure looks like to applied copper bands to me rather than raised machined areas.  That also doesn't look like a casting flaw to me, but rather it has been hit with a Mk 2 shape charge and then welded in.  I could be wrong.  If you guys with the big bucks want to give it a whirl, I wouldn't poke fun at you.  It just seem peculiar that the body would have such pitting while the bands do not if they are a homogenous piece of cast iron.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »
I'm interested to see what Pete says on this. There are other photo's of the base in the auction, which is flat and has a lathe dimple.    Maybe someone can post them

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
David post the URL and I will post them.  I do agree with Joe as it appears to have an epoxy spread over a hole.  I can't tell what the bands are made of. (p. poor eyesight) I don't believe the base is ACW, dimple or no dimple.
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
To all Interested,
    Below is a base and opposite side view.
Johnn

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »
Sorry about that , they would not fit on the last post.
John

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:10:41 PM »
Wrote the seller.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
I wrote him twice when this auction first came up.  He has a group of projectiles and is not far from me.  He has not responded about the type of metal in the bourelets or base.  David called him but I don't think asked those questions when they spoke.  I learned the hard way years ago on bullets that if something comes up we have never seen before to be very skeptical.  We've had 150 years to see this "Civil War" projectile and never have.

I wish a picture of the proof shot Joe mentioned existed to put this more to rest, but as with many of those late 19th century/early 20th century rounds, they don't.

At this point, all I can think is the seller is trying to maximize his cash intake by hiding in the cone of silence.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »
After seeing the link and the additional photos, I wish to retract my earlier comments.  I'm not sure what this is, and I don't claim any special expertise on Confederate projectiles.  It may be as claimed by the seller or not.  Caveat Emptor