Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Pardon Me If This Is Common Knowldege  (Read 5125 times)

Jine

Pardon Me If This Is Common Knowldege
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:53:56 AM »

Three tubes from the Pee Dee pulled from the Pee Dee:

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article36910053.html
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

Selma Hunter

Re: Pardon Me If This Is Common Knowldege
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:55:41 AM »
The data shown at the bottom of this article contains grossly inaccurate data regarding the production dates on the two Brooke rifles.  The article indicates that the tubes were cast in 1863.  In fact, the FIRST servicable Selma made tube wasn't cast until 24 August of 1863 and it did not ship out until January 8th 1864.  It became the aft pivot gun on the  CSS Tennessee II. 

My friend Catesby ap Catesby Jones (90 years young) flew into Charlotte Monday.  He, my son and I then traveled to Florence/Mars Bluff and were privileged to witness the recoveries.  FWIW, Catesby's GGF was Catesby ap Roger Jones.  He was the commander of the Selma Naval Gun Foundry & Ordnance Works and the officer responsible for the extraordinary quality of these remarkable guns.  He was also the acting commander of the CSS Virginia the day that ship defeated the USS Monitor in the famous "battle between the ironclads" at Hampton Roads.

Photos of Mars Bluff event to follow.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
Didn't ever know that the Monitor was defeated in that engagement. 

Selma Hunter

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »
Go to Channel 13 in Florence and there is a video link. 

http://wbtw.com/category/254558/stateregional/

Jim T.  -

There are lots of folks who don't know that, but then again, ...........It wasn't a yankee "win" and it wasn't a "draw" either, so - go figure.   There are 15 reasons which under the rules of war prevailing at that time dictate the complete CSN victory at the Roads.  That didn't change until after 11 May following the destruction of the Virginia by her own crew at Craney's Island.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:03:15 AM by Selma Hunter »

Selma Hunter

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:43:34 AM by Selma Hunter »

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
Unless the Monitor's objective was to preserve the blockade.  Can't let you have this one Bill.....  ;)

Selma Hunter

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
I don't know that I have ever seen mention of the Monitor and "Blockade" in the same article when addressing the Virginia.  The Monitor was constructed and specifically directed to Hampton Roads to counter the Virginia.  The Virginia was a "brown water" boat, and was no more capable of going to sea than was the Monitor.  In fact, the Virginia would have been lost had she ever ventured outside the Roads and  into Chesapeake Bay.  With an AVERAGE water depth of 25 feet the Virginia would have grounded or exhausted a very limited capacity for fuel before returning to a safe berth.  What claims were made regarding the role of the Monitor following May 11 aren't of interest with regards to the role of the Virginia, but suffice it to say that if she was there to enforce a "blockade" then the role of Fortress Monroe, the battery on the rock pile, and the 5 or 6 other major naval vessels would seem minimized.  Further to the role of the Monitor and "blockade" enforcement, she was lost new years eve that year trying to make her way down the coast to engage CS elements along the North Carolina coast.   That, as we know, didn't work out well.

The job assigned to the Virginia was to keep the blue navy out of the James River (protecting Richmond) and the Elizabeth River (protecting Norfolk/Gosport).  I will not list the 15 points here, but this is a discussion that will never be resolved for some of those who choose to drink the cool aid.  In fact, the substance of the argument weighed so heavily on one of the federal officers involved that in 1877 he finally shot himself.  It is a long and involved study that has to be followed well after the war to understand, but trust the facts - the CSN prevailed at Hampton Roads from maiden sortie on 8 March until the morning of  May 11.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »
This day has been long awaited by very many people.  Here you have Catesby, Parker and yours truly touching S-53.  the gun tube is in pristine condition under all the mud and concretion.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:53:48 AM by Selma Hunter »

Selma Hunter

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
Keeping a promise!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 10:01:01 PM »
Well Bill, I'm just at a loss for words!   ;D

Very neat images and thanks for the personal update on the happenings.  I'm looking forward to seeing them cleaned up.  I wonder if any of the carriage pieces are or were in the water as well?
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 07:58:20 AM »
Carl,

To my knowledge, the tubes were dismounted when thrown overboard.  My guess is that the carriages were still on deck when the ship was burned to the waterline. Will advise if we learn differently.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
Ditto to what Carl said, Bill.  Very cool photos, thanks for the personal update, looking forward to seeing those cannons after proper cleaning.  By the way, that was an interesting promise.  I'm glad you were able to keep it. :)

Regards,
Pete