Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Odd 10pdr Read  (Read 6439 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Odd 10pdr Read
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »
Looks like it had a Bormann underplug, but hole is not threaded.

Thoughts?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Odd 10pdr Read
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »
Base view

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »
  The only answer I can think of is, Broun Concussion fuzing.  Remember the really wild Experimental Broun-fuzed 2.9" Read Long-model shell Steve Sylvia came up with, decades ago, from a CS artillery test-range near Orange VA.

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:07:39 PM »
I like that answer

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »
Mike,
  If we can go back to this post.  If below is the fuze Pete makes reference to I don't see a need for the large ciameter recess in order to use the Broun fuze. What say ye?
Regards,
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
Let me bump this one back up to the top.
Pete is this the fuze you referred to in your comment?  If so, can you explain the large diameter recess ande how it relates to the Broun fuze?  Thank you.
Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
Bart, the Broun-fuzed shell I was referring to (owned by Steve Sylvia) is a 2.9" Read Long-Model shell, not what is in your drawings. The Broun fuze in Steve's shell was definitely an experimental model. It is hugely oversized, in both height and diameter.  Also, it has a long thick flange across its top, similar to what is seen on some modernday car gas-tank caps. I think Emike might have one of those Experimental Broun fuzecaps in his collection.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a photo of Steve's Read Long-Model shell with the Experimental fuzecap anywhere online. But it is shown on page 245 of the Dickey-&-George 1993 book. Also, it was pictured in an article about it in an old issue of the North/South Trader's Civil War magazine.

You can also see the complete shell on page 71 in Chuck Jones book, "Artillery Fuses Of The Civil War"... along with one of the Experimental Broun fuzecaps... and a nose-fragment from an exploded shell which had the Experimental Broun fuzecap. That nose-frag shows the rounded-wall flat-floored "chamber" we see on Emike's busted-nose shell. So, I believe I've identified Emike's shell correctly... a 2.9" Read Long-Model shell which had the Experimental Broun fuze in its broken-open nose. 

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »
Pete,
   I do not question your I.D. so my fuze drawing of the Broun fruze is NOT the same as the one that would fit Mike's shell?
  I don't have any of my reference books with me except for Jack Bell's book.
Can you scan a copy from yours or Jones book so all may see the fuze you speak of?
Regards,
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »
Mike,
Can you scan the applicable image Pete mentions from Jones book?
Tjhank you,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »
Here is a picture of the fuse I think Dom Pedro was talking about.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »
Mikke,
  I really can't tell much about it.  Is Jones image more complete?
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
  Yes John, that is the Experimental Broun oversized fuzecap I've been talking about. The view in Chuck Jones' book is better for what you want to see. BUT, you are asking me (and now Emike) to violate US Copyright law by scanning and "publishing" a page from the Jones book on this website.  That is why I did not respond to your previous request.

By the way... it doesn't matter if the image was published (which includes Internet posting) for nonprofit strictly-Educational purposes. You've still violated the law.

Make no mistake, folks, when you post an image owned by somebody else you ARE violating US Copyright law... and you are making a big mistake if you think nobody would bother to report your violation of the law to the image's owner.  Some people (including at least one member of this forum) get their jollies by doing that kind of reporting.

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
Pete,
Please forgive my ignorance. Then Pete do you have it in YOUR book that you could scan for all who do not have Jones's book?
John
Mike:
   I notice the fuze threads start immediately at the rear of the main fuze body.  However I don't see any threads  in the recess above the flat area??
John
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:19:07 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
 The Dickey-&-George book shows the Production version, but not the oversized Experimental version. Insofar as I'm aware, the only book that shows it is the Jones book.

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »
Mike,
I re-address my question about the the lack of threads from the flat area to the top of the shell.
John