Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Trans-Mississippi Taxonomy is Coming  (Read 15057 times)

ETEX

Trans-Mississippi Taxonomy is Coming
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
I have been on a grueling work schedule and it looks like it will slow down in about two weeks. I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth just been extremely busy.

I am starting to work up a Taxonomy on the Trans-Mississippi Theatre bullets and will be posting bullet photos as well as what information I have on the bullets. I talked with Mike yesterday and I think I will attack the taxonomy and list the bullets in the order M&M used to define bullet classes/type ie. Base, Rings, etc. Give me awhile to be able to get this started and hopefully it will be not only a entertaining thread but a knowledge based thread due to the lack of Trans-Mississippi data and references available. Tom Stelma's  "Some Civil War Bullets II" does as good a job as I have seen with identification and photos of most of the Trans-Mississippi beauties.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Trans-Mississippi Taxonomy is Coming
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
Cool, I still have the photos I took of my bullets for Tom.  As they are my bullets and my pictures (& its not like he paid for them), I think we can re-use those.  You can contact Danny for his too.  And Skip has some as well.

"Churchill:"

R. J. in LA

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
Really looking forward to the thread Michael!
Mike, beautiful Churchill!

R. J.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
Coonboy recovered it by his home and sold it to me.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
Coonboy has made tons of amazing finds over the years & those finds could not have been made by anyone better & with more passion for this hobby than Coonboy, a true gentleman with a wealth of knowledge he is so willing to share & a great asset to this wonderful Civil War collecting community!!

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Let me know if I can help contribute pics and details of some of my specimens.  While not as lucky as some to have a few of the harder ones, I do have many interesting varieties and many not normally discussed due to their rariety.

I also won't swear by my camera work as you guys take much better pictures than I.

Bill

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
RJ, I totally agree with your words for Terry.

Bill, when I get started on this I will contact you for info/pics.

I will gladly accept any information from diggers/collectors/etc that may have information to share in regards to Trans-Mississippi Bullets.

Big Lefty

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
ETEX,

I have a question to ask you outside the forum.  Can you drop me an email at gurleybillyj@uams.edu?  Thanks.

Bill

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
I took about 150 photos today and after I get them run through phote explosion and cropped I will start posting the taxonaomy as best I can.

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to the Trans-Mississippi taxonomy. Those Trans-Mississippi bullets are cool even if they are a bit out of my budget. :D

ETEX

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
I have slowly been getting to cropping pics and compiling measurements to get started on posting but working a minumum of 6 day 12 hour shifts a week there is very little time. I will get to it and start posting as soon as I can. Here are just a couple of the different pics that will be accompanied by bullet/location/size/etc.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 01:18:08 AM »
Here is a Tom Greene that is in perfect shape.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »
This is the tall pattern

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
I would be interested in knowing how many of these Arkansas Hawgs are out there.

Skip

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »
That's a good question, Ian. I'm going to GUESS that there are less than one hundred known examples. They come from sites associated with cavalry units. None have been found on any infantry camps as far as I know.