Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Trans-Miss Bullet  (Read 4418 times)

n21862

• Email
Trans-Miss Bullet
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
Hello All,

As a "Newbie" I have to admit I was a little reluctant at first to post to this forum but then thought well.... "from one leadhead to another". I have collected acw bullets for 20 plus years. I have heard of and know of some of you. With this being my first post I wanted to start off with a discussion about a particular dug trans-miss dug bullet that will may and probably will bring some controversy but with that said...here it is. For starters. #1. It was dug in Arkansas. #2. It has a nice patina and still has some gun powder residue in and around the cone cavity. #3. This nose casted bullet measures 0.585 x 1.032 (sorry but no weight avail). #4. It appears to have a resemblance to a bullet dug by Mr. Terry Waxham's NSTCW magazine article from Jan-Feb. 1980. #5. It also has a resemblance to a bullet from Mr. Meigs Brainard's NSTCW article from 2013 War In The West Yields Rare Bullets, Part II. My questions are this....could this possibly be a "middle sized" 0.57 caliber "Arkansas Hog" bullet..?  Also, if there were 0.54 caliber "Baby Hog"bullets and 0.69 caliber "Arkansas Hog" bullets produced then does it not make sense to produce a 0.57 caliber round also for the late war trans-miss rifles.? I apologize that maybe I may have missed any article/s  written with regard to any production from the CS arsenals who produced this type of bullets but..?  With respect and that being said, what are any thoughts from any of you? 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Trans-Miss Bullet
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:26:16 PM »
Welcome!  Glad to have you join our merry band.

That is a neat bullet.  I look forward to the discussion.

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:46:22 AM »
I'm at work and can't open pictures but just asking, that isn't an MM 375 right?

Also, speaking of "baby hawgs" and such. Is there a TT or RBTRF number on them? I have looked but either its not there or I missed it.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
Believe the Hawgs are only mentioned in Tom Stelma's book.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 05:35:30 PM »
Welcome n21862 to the forum. Looking at the bullet and measurement I would say it is a TT-170/RBTRF IV Bullet 340/MM-375. What I love about this bullet it does look exactly like it should fall in as the 577/58 caliber Arkansas Hawg but just being a great CS Nose cast bullet it good enough. I believe RBTRF IV Bullet 549 would fit the bill to be the Arkansas Hawg Roy.

n21862

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
Hi ETEX,
Thanks for your comment and vote of confidence for the Arkansas Hog possibility. I believe this bullet has all the earmarks of being the real deal. This nose casted bullet has the normal grooves as opposed to MM375/RBTRF340 which has compound notch type grooves and a cone cavity depth of 0.322 compared to this bullet's cone cavity depth of only 0.219. I'm sure you are very aware of Terry's and Meigs articles. I had compared this bullet to those articles, especially Terry's,  and the similarities were amazing to me. I wanted to post this bullet for all to see and chime in with their opinions, comments and expertise, especially the trans-miss bitten gang.  Thanks