Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Trans-Mississippi 4 Groove  (Read 6737 times)

ETEX

Trans-Mississippi 4 Groove
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »
Thought I would post a photo of the 4 Groove bullet in my collection dug from Arkansas Post, Arkansas. An interesting bullet. Measures at .565 x .856 x 474 with a .348 deep conical cavity.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Trans-Mississippi 4 Groove
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
Mine came out of Arkansas as well.  I really like this bullet.  There are others that have the look of the fourth ring from cavity over-pour, but this one is distinctive and when you see one you really know the difference.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
Just another 4 ringer.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
RE: Daveslem: 
Now that's funny!   ;D
Best,
Carl

R. J. in LA

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »
Attached is a photo of a Trans-Mississippi 4 Groove bullet found by one of my fellow relic hunters a couple of months ago at one of our sites in central Louisiana that we've been hunting for many years. We've found Minies, Burnsdies, roundballs, and Marshall TX Enfields but this is the first 4 ringer ever found at this site. The unfortunate thing is that this site has been an agricultural field for many, many years and as you can see by the photo, the bullet has suffered years of plow damage but it is what it is. Mike or Michael, any information on other 4 Groove bullets found in Louisiana?

R. J. in LA

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
Sorry, forgot to include the dimensions for the 4 Groove bullet in my previous post. Dimensions are as follows: D = .569"; L = .974".

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 03:24:08 PM »
R.J. - That is a great find and it is a shame the damage done from the location where it was found, but it is still a very tough bullet to find and a great one to have in a collection. I believe Mike told me at one time (don't hold me to this) that Terry may have dug a 4  Groove in Louisiana. Chime in if that is correct Terry. I may be totally off base with that.

Have any Cosmopolitan Type II (don't everyone cringe at once with the name of that bullet) or Baby Hawgs been found anywhere near the location this bullet was dug? I personally don't see why they wouldn't have made it out of Arkansas and into Louisiana.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Michael, I've found one Baby Hawg, 4 Tom Greens, and some MTEs at another site of ours which is only a few miles down the road from this site. With the guys I'm familiar with that dig in this area, I don't know of any that have found either the Cosmopolitan Type II or the Baby Hawg, besides the one I found, at this site or in close proximity to this site. Also in close proximity to this site, a couple of T. Miller Texas buttons have been found along with Louisiana pelican buttons. Some other relic hunters that I'm not familiar with that hunt the same areas may have found some of the Cosmopolitan Type II and Baby Hawgs at this same site, but I'm unaware of that at this time.
Of course we all know that Terry has found the Cosmopolitan Type II and Baby Hawgs in his area. It would make sense that he may have also found a 4 Groove but I'm not aware of that. Terry, if you could let us know we'd love to hear from you, thanks.

mbfrompb

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:02 PM »
How do you know for sure these two bullets came from Arkansas Post?  Ive seen hundreds of bullets recovered by the early diggers at Arkansas Post and never saw a four ring bullet.  Where they bought from a dealer?  The reason I ask is I have seen a lot of bullets for sale on relic dealers websites labeled "from Arkansas Post."  I would not put stock in this unless you bought it from a dealer/digger from Arkansas.  Im sure Skip will agree, we have both hunted Arkansas Post numerous times back in the day.  I can honestly say I believe I know of every odd variant of bullet recovered there, but never have I seen a four ring minie from the Post.  Without seeing the two bullets shown here, I cannot say whether or not they are like the CS four ringer I have written about.  The known Arkansas variation in my article War in the West Yields Rare Bullets is found strictly during the 1864 Camden Expedition and possibly other late war TM sites.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »
I got mine from the digger -- the same fellow (Rick) you got a couple Fagans from I think, but it was recovered in Ouachita County, AR

mbfrompb

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
FYI, Rick's 4-Ringer came from Camden, not Arkansas Post.  I know this for fact because it was found at a camp I found in the 80's that we showed Rick.  That is a late war bullet.  As far as I know, the ammunition that has come from the Post is typical early war.  Lots of .69 variants, L1 Enfields, musket balls etc.  None of the types I covered in War in the West.

mbfrompb

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »
My bad, thought your 4-ringer was from the Post.  Nice bullet and believe me, they are scarce!