Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Canister plates "NEEDED" 6pdr  (Read 7092 times)

CanisterD

• gottbott@embarqmail.com
Canister plates "NEEDED" 6pdr
« on: December 23, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
I was handed a box of canister shots at Franklin, with the request "Do something with them" ... got about 85-90 pcs of 6 pdr shot, and NO plates ... I plan to use 27 to build a std 6pdr gun round, and the remaining shot to make a round for 20pdr Parrott.  So, at the very least I need 2 tops, and 1 bottom .. I do have one decent bottom plate.  Always interested in other canister related items, just ask Mike.  At the moment I am on the hunt for 1.8" shot, and 2.0" shot ... 15-20 each ;)  Thanks in advance, one and all.  MERRY XMAS, EVERYBODY.  DG

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Canister plates "NEEDED" 6pdr
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
Dave,

Here are some reported to be 2-inch:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/190948789635
They seem to be at the high end of your price range but perhaps a group discount is possible.

And here are some called 1-inch likely for a 12-lber:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/190893602544

You've likely seen these but thought I'd bring them to your attention in case you haven't.  They are both from the same seller.
Best,
Carl

CanisterD

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Hi Carl ... yep, saw them, have them on my watch list, but at those prices it would cost more to build a canister than it would sell for, not counting the cost of non-existant plates :(   I am building a 10" for my display, it used wood top and bottom discs, tin sides ... I will repro the tops and bottoms, use my favorite glue and glue the shots together, and sandwich the stack between the wood discs.  4 layers of 15 per layer, 10 around 5, it's gonna weigh a 'ton'  :)  As per the bigger ones, there was a center bolt with a lifting ring in the head of the bolt ... sort of like a stand of grape but with a tin can instead of rings, and the lifting ring instead of a rope 'handle' ... but anyhow, the shots HAVE to be 2.0 - 2.05" .. I got some of these, and they measure 2.1", and it makes a difference. 10 of the 2.1" ones won't fit in a 9.75" circle, 10 of the smaller sized ones will ... it's that close.  I have about 20 now of the 'correct' size and about 20 of the bigger ones.  :(   Planning on doing an 11" and a 15" but they will be empty cans, for size and scale only .. repro from top to bottom, marked as such.  Thanks for the thought.  DG

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »
I have many canister plates in various sizes that I would trade for something I might need. If you come to Alabama I would show you my canister stuff. 205-672-9310
Steve P

CanisterD

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
Hi Steve ... thanks for the comment / offer ... would love to see your stuff, I think we used to set up next to you at Richmond, some years ago?  I was with Wayne Williams' table ( Ohio CW show guy )  and we bought some of your 'river finds'  :)  Don't see a trip to Al in my future, but will store your phone # in case.  What sizes do you have?  tops / bottoms / both? Also do you have any 2.0" shot balls?  I am accumulating a surplus of 2.1", which will work for 12pdr grape, but not in my10" canister I am building.   I am nearly at the 'finish line' getting enough shot for the 8" howitzer round I'm working on ( 1.87" shot ).  Hope to have enough to finish it by the time next Franklin comes around ... am bringing the canister display to the 2014 show there, then to Baltimore ( '15 ), and Mansfield ('15).  The big ones should be done by then.    Thanks, and Merry Xmas, Dave G

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
I have never displayed at Richmond but I did display at Nashville for several years. I have not displayed anywhere in 10 years, too much work. I have 6, 12 & 24 plates, most are bottoms. Top plates don't survive the river well.

CanisterD

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 02:04:31 PM »
Richmond, Nashville, they all begin to run together in one's mind after 65-66 years.  :)  I know we were 'back to back' on one of the show aisles, and yes, it's been a long time.  :(  too long.   If you have a spare 6pdr bottom, I'd be interested .. if you have some 1.8" / 2.0" shots I'd like to know about them too.  If you know of anyone else, ( perhaps not on this forum site ) who might have plates, please pass the word.  Thanks again, Dave G