Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What do you think of these engraved shells?  (Read 8521 times)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
What do you think of these engraved shells?
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
I have always thought these were 19th century scams for tourists - what say you?

http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6098&lotNo=32098
http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6098&lotNo=32102

And I have always liked these "battlefield recovered canister round. Missing the tin cylinder and wood sabot. Excellent relic condition." actually made out of plastic and tape!

http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6098&lotNo=32105#1005610056612
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:54:59 PM by scottfromgeorgia »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: What do you think of these engraved shells?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »
I am sure Mike O'Donnell's book on Gettysburg relics has more to say on them, but I do not possess that book.  I do have The Illustrated History of American Civil War Relics, an earlier book of his and Steve Sylvia's.  On pages 106 and 107 these engraved pieces are shown and one of the captions (page 106) says that "the manufacture of these engraved battlefield souvenirs began around 1870."

They are still highly prized by some collectors.  Because the work was done so close to the war's end, the condition of the projectiles is usually very good.

The stencilling on the Mullane ties it to the Danner Museum also.  I think you have a cabinet card showing shelves full of these projectiles, numbered similarly.  I understand that these were sold off the shelves and replaced as best as possible with a similar style shell with a stenciled number on it which in turn could be sold.  I have a partial one (half a 3in Schenkl case shot shell shown below) I got for a small amount at a relic show, but these too go for big money to some.

Here is a poor image of one of these Danner Museum cabinet cards: http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/327/images/lrg/70018x9.jpg

Also, the reconstructed canister only has 25 balls, 2 short of what it should.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:01:28 PM by emike123 »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »
A better card, perhaps the one you have Scott, is shown on page 103 of Sylvia and O'Donnell's book.  Perhaps you can post a picture of your card for those who do not have the book.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
I'm in Baghdad at the moment - when I get home I will scan it.

The scam I was referring to was the provenance - I imagine they just had wagon loads of these shells from all over, and engraved them for the tourists visiting the battlefields.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »
The stenciled pieces (not all are artillery shells) are attibuted to Danner.  Most also feature a matching stenciled wooden base.  The engraved shells and engraved frags on relic desk sets were done for tourist trade (not a "scam" of any sort).  Sold by many vendors in Gettysburg.  During construction of the church I now attend, in the late 1880s these were sold or given in return for contributions to the building fund.  Very sought after by collectors these days.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »
I had heard that. I was referring to the fact that it seems unlikely that the folks making these tourist souvenirs were particularly fastidious about where they came from - I see cartloads of shells being trucked in from somewhere South for engraving. I like them as curiosities, but I would not buy them as genuine Gettysburg relics.