Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 9933 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
What is it?
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:09:41 AM »
Eagle Eye Jim (RelicRunner) happened apon a couple pieces of sabot at the Franlkin Show that I'm sure a lot of people glanced at and walked right on by.  Fortunately he didn't.  Let's see if you know what type of shell this sabot came from:

Inner View:

Outside View:

It is a Civil War period shell.  It is from a 6-inch caliber gun.  Reportedly these pieces came from the Mobile Bay area.  See if you can figure out what it is before looking at the responses of those who have.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:13:03 AM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

Jack Wells

• Email
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
A piece of "Cochran"(Union ) Sabot.These exist in 3.4, 3.82  & 6"size for U.S..Naval Rifles

Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
Confirmed section of Cochran sabot.
John

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »
  a rare bird indeed !!  Congrat's to Jim for spotting this and knowing what it was.  I probably walked past it 20 times and missed it !!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
Yes, I was a bit surprised when he walked up and showed me the two pieces.  A really neat find.  He was kind enough to let me get one of the two for my collection.    Very cool.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
  Did anybody ask the seller where those sabot pieces were dug?

relicrunner

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:09 AM »
Pete,
As mentioned above, the seller said they came from the Mobile Bay area......he did not give any more details. Does any records or documentation exist that supports that? Your book mentions several recovered along the East Coast.
Would fragments of this shell be unique enough to be recognized as being Cochran frags?

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »
    As far as I know the Cochran projectile is the only ACW specimen that the sabotscrews on, probably left handed threads. Also, the only shell having a series of small round holes surrounding the sabot on the outside edge.
Question:  Carl is the yellow substance tallow? Is the sabot made of brass?
Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »
The stuff on the sabot is encrustation from the ground.  They haven't been cleaned or at least not very much.  They also seem to have that appearance of having come out of water.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:52:59 AM »
  Relicrunner wrote:
> As mentioned above, the seller said they came from the Mobile Bay area...

Thanks for the dig-location info.  I'm long-accustomed to text being only above a photo in an internet-forum post, not below a photo.  The software at this forum must be different from other forums I post in.

> Does any records or documentation exist that supports that [Mobile AL dig-location]? Your book mentions several recovered along the East Coast.

I've not seen any records or documentation of use of Cochran projectiles elsewhere than the East Coast.  That being said, we know that in the last few months of the war, the yankee navy was deliberately using up its stocks of "obsolete" projectiles.  (It's one of the things Fort Fisher is famous for, at least among Artillery collectors.)  The "East Coast" recovery-sites for Coochran projectiles are all very early-war.  The US navy's bombardments of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely took place in 1865, so it "makes sense" that the leftover Cochran projectiles got used there.

> Would fragments of this shell be unique enough to be recognized as being Cochran frags?

Only the base's frags.  Of the six body variations of Navy-model Cochran shells, two have smooth sides and four have bourrelets.  Frags from the smooth ones are too "generic," and frags from the bourreleted ones would probably be mistaken for Confederate shells.  So, only a Cochran's base frags would be distinctive enough to ID with certainty.

Regards,
Pete 

relicrunner

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 09:21:13 AM »
Great answers/info Pete.......thank you

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »
I've seen two superb, complete examples of the projectiles that came from Roanoke Island, NC.  1862 battle site.

Not sure of any that came out of Fisher, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »
Sir, since this is such a rare shell, can you get digital images of the two that you mentioned above?
John