Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Weird fuse on a Read shell...  (Read 8685 times)

Aquachigger

• Email
Weird fuse on a Read shell...
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
Finally getting back out, and having a pretty good season so far. I wanted to see if you guys have seen a Read fuse like this. It's a first for me. The top center of the fuse appears to be iron. I have found a few Reads over the years, but never with this iron piece. Any thoughts?

I also included a picture of an Archer I found last week since they seem to be "in the news" here. It too is a first for me. I had re-read the "Archer" posts that are below on the morning of the hunt and REALLY wanted to find one someday. Later that day, I was holding one! Strange but true...

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Weird fuse on a Read shell...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
Nice stuff Beau.  My guess is the iron rod was jammed into the Read fuse adapter to turn it into a bolt.  We see this more often than you would think with wood dowels too.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »
Incredible finds.  I believe you are onto the proverbial 'honey hole'!  Congratulations.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »
Aquadigger,
    Great photos! More water recoveries? Get them into the treatment.
Regards,
John

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
Nice stuff Beau.  My guess is the iron rod was jammed into the Read fuse adapter to turn it into a bolt.  We see this more often than you would think with wood dowels too.

Thanks Mike. I guess it could be that. Seems like it would be easier to just shake the powder out (it was full) or even just take the adapter out. I'll try to peer up the drill hole in the base to see if I can tell what's in there.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
It would be easier but I do not think it would fly so well with an open hole in its nose!

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
It would be easier but I do not think it would fly so well with an open hole in its nose!
I guess it might be a bit wobbly, makes sense.