Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cannon from Georgia State Capitol  (Read 8495 times)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Cannon from Georgia State Capitol
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
I was on the grounds of the Georgia Capitol the other day, and saw this cannon mounted high on the steps leading up to locked doors on a side entrance. It is a short field piece - I am guessing a 12-pounder Howitzer?. I could not get a good look down the barrel without climbing some ornamental granite while the guards were watching, but the barrel looked unrifled.

The markings are interesting. Any insight into them? 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:47:42 PM by scottfromgeorgia »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Re: Cannon from Georgia State Capitol
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
More pictures.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »
Tough to see well on my iPhone, but the trunion markings are for Cyrus Alger of Boston, the foundry where it was made

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »
  It is a US Model-1841 12-pounder Field Howitzer ...and (obviously) made of bronze.  Total barrel length 59.6 inches.  This one appears to have the Georgia State Seal atop the barrel, indicating it is one of the two made in September 1854 by Alger for that state. Both were issued to the Georgia Military Institute ...which no longer exists, and that probably explains why this one is now located at the State Capitol.

Regards,
Pete

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »
There was another one on the other side of the steps, so that might be the second.

Peter, any idea what that odd scrawl on the barrel means? Walt Lindsey?

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
          'walt lindsay' looks like some sum a bitch graffitti carved into a priceless  piece of history. Punch that guy in the nose for doing that........

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »
I believe the other is located at the site of the old GMI which became the Marietta Country Club and then the Hilton's "City Club Marietta":
     http://www.cityclubmarietta.com/facilities/
It's only about a mile from the Marietta Civil War Show and a great place to stay.  I think the cost is $100/night.  Anyway, both used to be on site but it appears when Hilton got the place they moved one cannon to the capital and the other is hopefully only on loan to Hilton.   You can ID them by the Georgia seal located on the top between the trunions.

I'll try to stop by the Hilton in the next day or so and confirm the tube is there and find out what the story is.
Best,
Carl