Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Question on lead balls in case shot  (Read 9060 times)

Pete George

• Email
Re: Question on lead balls in case shot
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »
  Yes, that is an example of the "belted" case-shot balls I've seen.  It is a rare form of case-shot ball, but not what I would call super-rare.  Made in a crudely shaped mold, definitely not intended as Small-Arms ammunition.

Regards,
Pete

Jine

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 05:09:03 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Pete. I was hoping you might see my query, and it does me good to see you active.

I believe we're finding a lot of remnants of captured Yankee ordnance, but I suppose crudely made indicates "home grown". :)

Thanks again!
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

alwion

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
I may have this wrong, but when reconstructing canisters I spent many hrs in conversation with canister D, and saved most of his emails for info. unfortunately, I so far have not found this exact info I remember, and of course I'm not sure Davids source, but he told me when looking for lead balls for a canister, that most would be .64 which were made for army use and paper cartridge. That what you had to beware of was the navy use balls which were .67-.68 and were bigger. "think" that was because the water use made the paper swell and too hard to load. This was a year ago conversation, so I could be wrong. could ask David again if we need to

dave h

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 08:16:28 AM »
I did find a "belted ball" in the same area.  See attached pic.  This one measures approx. .47 in diameter.