Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Ebay listing has anyone seen?  (Read 6593 times)

railroadman

• Email
Ebay listing has anyone seen?
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »

relicrunner

Re: Ebay listing has anyone seen?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
can't wait to hear comments on this!!!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »
how about a Hanes grenade.   Cheers, John
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:19:25 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
The only part that throws me off is the diamonds he has drawn on the outer shell.  This is indicative of Vietnam era cluster munitions.
   Granted I have low vision but can anyone else see the remains of the nibs on the inner sphere?
Cheers,
John

alwion

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
interesting cone shaped sharp pin on the stud inside, looks to penetrate the ctr ball. saw it when it listed, and though viet nam era also, but am not sure

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:09:45 PM »
Hanes lists his shell and grenade in the same patent 36,295/1862.  Very little is written in the text of the patent about the grenade.  In the grenade I believe the nipples are spacers rather than nipples for percussion caps.  It would be difficult and dangerous to try and place caps on the nipples.  The patent does not show the grenade being made in two halves. There would be no safety cushion (wood plugs) as found in the shells; this would make transportation and handling very sporting at best. 
Hanes does not describe the operation of the grenade. It seems like an unsupported after thought.   
Regards,
John ::)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:22:38 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

joevann

• Email

joevann

• Email

joevann

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 11:14:34 PM »
I have know idea what this thing is, but apparently there are more than one of them.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 12:56:17 AM »
Joe (and Railroadman), super-close examination of the "enlarged" version of the photos reveals that it is the exact same one which was posted at TreasureNet in August 2012, and was listed on Ebay in that same month and year.  The little iron pin inside it at that time has gotten broken off since then, and is now laying "loose" inside the hemisphere in one of the photos. Note the exact position of the various "globs" on the hemisphere's rim, and the exact shape of the hole in the ball, and the location of the orange spots around that hole. It is definitely the same specimen we saw on Ebay a year ago. If I recall correctly, it got reported to Ebay as a "significantly misrepresented" item and Ebay ended the auction for it before it could be sold.

Regards,
Pete

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:48:14 AM »
... If I recall correctly, it got reported to Ebay as a "significantly misrepresented" item and Ebay ended the auction for it before it could be sold.

And the current auction has been "removed", too.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »
So what do you think it is? even though it has appeared twice on eBay. Was it really used in the war? Anyone else read the patent and formed an opinion?
Regards,
John 8)

railroadman

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »
Well I had no idea what it was all I knew was I had never seen anything like it in any of my books nor pictures on the internet. I could not figure out what the point would have been to have a solid ball inside of a ball made to explode seemed pointless to me to be described as something from civil war artillery.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
Look at my drawing, the inside ball is hollow and filled with black powder. That is, according to the patent.
Cheers,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 01:50:15 PM »
A Hanes grenade has a raised belt around the area where the two hemispheres screw together and no hole in the outer shell.

It more closely resembles a WWI French grenade (scroll if you care to through this web page):

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_grenades_fr.html

But I don't see any that unscrew.  Of course, there are other round metal objects that unscrew and some may even be military pieces, but I do not think this is even close to being a Civil War era Hanes grenade.