Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The U. S. Schenkl Percussion Fuze;  (Read 10943 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
The U. S. Schenkl Percussion Fuze;
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
To All Interested;
       The U.S. Schenkl Percussion Fuze was first patented on October 16, 1861 by John Paul Schenkl.  A very bacic design, however it had two safety features, differing from its competition.  The first, and most obvious, was the brass screw securing the percussion cap slider until the action of set back.  The second safety was the reversible anvil cap with its contersunk hole, when facing outward, the fuse was armed.  Wnen facing inward it presented a hole for the percussion cap should the striker (slider) break free prematurely.  Numerous duds occurred when a nervious gunner forgot the reverse the anvil prior to loading the projectile. Feel free to comment or questions.
Regards,
John

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:04:02 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

Pete George

• Email
Re: The U. S. Schenkl Percussion Fuze;
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
  Your diagram says the unmarked brass version was "manufactured for Dyer shells."  That declaration would seem to be contradicted by the fact that it is also found in early-model Schenkl shells ...notably, the indented-grooves Rifled Six-pounder Schenkl. I've seen numerically more of the unmarked brass version in Schenkl shells than in Dyer shells.

Regards,
Pete

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
  My comment was honestly intended as a constructive review.  I made the comment because you've asked me for constructive reviews of your diagrams more than just once or twice in the past few years.

I've given many talks to civil war history groups, relic-digging clubs, and grade-school students.  From feedback received at them, I've learned to be very careful not to unintentionally mislead my audience by "inexact" wording.  In my opinion, a significant percentage of readers will misinterpret the diagram's statement as meaning "manufactured exclusively for Dyer shells."  If I were labeling that fuze in an education display, I'd write "Used in Early-war Schenkl and 3" Dyer shells."  It's just seven words plus a number, and it's specific about that's fuze's narrow usage.

Best regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »
Thank you...... edited for your pleasure!
John
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:53:11 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »