Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Civil War Shipwreck Blocking Route To Be Raised  (Read 11409 times)

Pete George

• Email
Civil War Shipwreck Blocking Route To Be Raised
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
  Ironclad CSS Georgia to be raised.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/05/civil-war-shipwreck-creates-hurdle-for-government-653m-plan/

Actually, a government agency (can't recall whether it was the US Navy, State of GA, or the Feds) recovered a bunch of artillery projectiles from the CSS Georgia shipweck back in the late-1980s/early-1990s  ...notably, a group of 6.4" Mullane/Tennessee-sabot flat-topped armor puncher Bolts.  They were unusually short-bodied, indicating they were made for use in a Rifled-&-banded 32-Pounder Smoothbore.

It will be very interesting to see what types of cannons and projectiles come to the surface when the new salvage effort commences.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Civil War Shipwreck Blocking Route To Be Raised
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
Interesting that the ship belongs to the US Navy as captured spoils yet the US never recognized the South as a nation nor did they capture the CSS Georgia.  It was scuttled.  Additionally the article stated: "In Savannah, a Ladies Gunboat Association raised $115,000 to build such a ship to protect the city" so it sounds like it belong to a ladies group or the city of Savannah to me.

It will be interesting to see what comes up and I hope they do a better and faster job of displaying than done with the Hunley and the Cairo.

Pete:  Thanks for sharing.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
Do we have a member living in the area that could take and post photos for to show the number and type of projectiles being recovered?
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
John,

You can see an example of the projectiles found there on page 415 of Jack Bell's book.  They are short little stubby Tennessee saboted bolts for the 6.4-inch Brooke or rifled 32-lber.  One thing interesting about them is that they have a nearly flat top without even much rounding on the edge unlike most bolts.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »
Carl,
Yes I know what they are but nothing like seeing them come up and besides there should also be some shells as well as bolts.
John   wish I could still see to get about diving.

Lowcountry83

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:15:48 PM »
Hey John,
I live in Savannah and have every intention of being out there when they start this project. Very exciting news indeed..

Stephen

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:24:10 PM by emike123 »

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Be nice to see if had Brooke's on board or banded and rifled 32 pdrs. I would not be biased one way or the other lol.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

Jim J.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »
If all goes well, and the Senate passes the Navigation Act, then the money will be available to dredge the Savannah river.  Part of the money will be used for archaeologiacl mitigation, in other words - survey, excavation and conservation of the artifacts.  I spent last week on the river on a barge, discussing how we can successfully raise the remaining artifacts from the site.  Please do NOT think of that we have a wrecksite on the riverbottom with tons of goodies.  What we do have is a collection of material that was left behind after a number of river dredges passed through.  The bottom of the hull is not there, and there are no small artifacts of a personal nature.  Yes, there are four guns, two engines (both unbolted and disconnected), a condenser (?), a propeller and shaft, some ordnance, and sections of the casemate, etc.  The disposition of the material possibly suggests that a salvage attempt was underway, and then the material was dumped.  Unfortunately, the entire bottom is covered with an invasive species of small black mussel, and teredo worm has gone through all of the wood - so the casemate is not stable.  The underwater visibility in minimal!  The guns include one 9" Dahlgren, two 32-pdr's - they look to be banded and rifled, and a small 6 pdr.  These will all be raised next summer and conserved, and then go on display in a yet to be named museum. 
Jim J.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
Hi Jim, good to see you on the Forum again.
Was the dredging spoil dumped on land or back in the shallows.
I wonder if someone has used a detector if on land?
Johnl

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:12:39 AM »
Jim, That is great news about the archeological investment in the project. There must be 400 years worth of relics in that mud. Good luck with preserving what we can - and don't let the bomb squad near the project.

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Jim. Hopefully we will be able to see what they bring up before to long at a museum.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

Jim J.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments. 
John B. - the spoil from the dredges (from the 1960's through 80's) was pumped into retention ponds, and is now 20 - 25' underground.  There is talk about possibly doing a survey, but we do not know where the original outflow pipe was - so have no starting point for the survey.  These ponds are huge, and no detector can work at that depth.  If we can figure out where the outflow was, then we can dig down ~25' and see what we find.  This would be a major undertaking, and there is no money available - at the moment!
Scott - the "bomb squad" will be there, but in the form of a US Marine EOD unit.  I will be working very closely with them, so that the shells are inerted with the minimum amount of damage.  A 1/2" hole in a 9" Dahlgren shell is acceptable!  We will have to assume that the cannon are "safe" to ship them back for conservation.
Selma - all of the ordnance and cannon will be cleaned and conserved here at the Lab, along with the other artifacts.  We have yet to find out which museums in the area wish to display the artifacts, but rest assured that they will go on display for the general public to enjoy.  The conservation on a IX Inch Dahlgren will take about two years.  It is a good sized cannon at 11' long and weighing ~ 9,200 lbs. 
I will try and be more regular in my postings, as I feel that the information needs to be shared by all.  All the best, and thanks for the interest.

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:20 AM »
To back Joe Vann is still not with the Corps as I am sure that he would be on this job.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »
This is very interesting.  If you could inveigh upon the folks at the Old Fort Jackson there to let you preserve the projectiles they have deteriorating in the open air there (at least they did last time I visited), that would be a nice bonus.  I think I poisted a picture of them on the old forum after my Dad and I stopped there a few years ago.

Carl lives in GA and I think it is safe for me to volunteer that he will do the electrolysis and preservation for free if it helps.  He did it for some projectiles at the Port Hudson museum and is a generous soul for this type of stuff.  Those at Old Fort Jackson were either pulled off the ship or more likely out of the moat there (only yards apart) but appear never to have gotten the TLC they deserve.  I have seen a projectile off the CSS Georgia that was properly taken care of and it is mint.