Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Reference question  (Read 9925 times)

joevann

• Email
Reference question
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
As a newbie, what reference book are using for the ID abbreviations in the posts?

Pete George

• Email
Re: Reference question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
M&M (or MM) = the McKee-&-Mason bullet book, "Civil War Projetiles II: Small Arms & Field Artillery"

T&T (or TT) = Jim Thomas and Dean Thomas' book, "A Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges"

RBTR = Dean Thomas' books, "Round Ball To Rimfire" Volumes 1, 2, 3, and 4.  Sometimes abbrviated to "Roundball2" or "RB4", etc.

SCWB = Tom Stelma's "book" (only available on CD, never in print), "Some Civil War Bullets"

Regards,
Pete

joevann

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
Thanks!  I guess I should start researched the huge pile I have.  I only have the M&M.

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
joevann, look forward to your posting on this side of the world with the leadheads. Welcome to the forum.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »
  The M&M book is good, but we now know it contains many significant ID-errors, because it hasn't been updated in over 30 years.  If cost is an issue for you about adding to your reference-book library, you can start inexpensively ($9.95) with the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges."  It is a recent publication, updated with the latest results from the Thomas brothers' exhaustive researching in historical records.  It is available directly from the authors, who are members of this forum.  Go to: www.thomaspublications.com

Or, you could just send Jim Thomas a Private Message about it, via the forum.

Since you've become a fellow forum member, they might autograph one for you.  :)

Regards,
Pete

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Mr. George, one update for you.  Tom Stelma did indeed have a limited number of copies of "Some Civil War Bullets 2" printed.  It is spiral bound; I have a copy Tom inscribed and gave to me when I took him on a relic hunt.  I recall he printed a very limited number; I do know he was selling them at a couple of relic shows.  Same as the CD; print quality and photo quality is pretty good.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
  Thank you for that update. :)  The "very limited number of copies" is probably why I never heard about their existence.

I prefer book form over CD.  I know both format's have their own advantages, such as, a book isn't keyword-searchable.  But, lacking a laptop, I can't take a CD into "the reading room."  ;-)

Nor to a relic show for use as I walk from table to table checking the goodies for sale.

Regards,
Pete

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »
I bougth one of the last spiral bound printings of SCWB2 & also got the CD as it is great for blowing up bullets to more closely see cavities, groove structure, etc.  The CD also has the supplement plus foreign artillery & bullets not in the printout.

Tom inscribed it for me in February 2011 shortly before his terribly unexpected demise.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
Does anyone know if the CD version is still being sold anywhere?
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
Jim T keeps one on his nightstand for frequent reference, but he probably won't come off it so you might check with Ian Workman.

I'd urge everyone to get the $9.95 version of T&T first though.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Shouldn't be hard to burn a copy of the cd as Tom had to do so for me.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
Don't worry, I'll get you Michael Ward!   As always, keepin' my mouth shut regarding "you know what."

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
Jim,

You told me my picture was on your night stand, right next to your teeth.
Later,
Dave Slemmer