Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 104 Pounds Of Lead...  (Read 10144 times)

Jine

104 Pounds Of Lead...
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:55:31 AM »
   ...estimated weight of 1226 rounds. A fellow dug an ammo box worth in one hole.

His story and vid here:

http://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/read.php?3,567067,567067#msg-567067
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

ETEX

Re: 104 Pounds Of Lead...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »
Great video and one heck of a find.

Jine

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
To be frank, YouTube presentations and such bore me, and rarely do I sit through anything longer than a minute or two. I did watch this in its entirety, thinking he did a tasteful job with it and the find worthy of the time invested. :)
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
Jine, I totally agree with you on the video and what a great job was done.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jine.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:33 AM »
Guys,

Could someone tell me how all these minnies ended up in one place? I'd be interested in reading why troops would just pile thousands of bulletes in one spot.  My eye-sight is not so good.  Were they all the same caliber?

I loved it and I'm glad it was posted here.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
thats great, I would love to find something like that!!

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
They are all .58 cal. minies.  They came out of Brandy Station in Virginia.  The dig site was on a portion of where the battle flowed, but most likely these came out of a dug-in winter hut or trash pit.  The US 6th Corps had a large dug-in winter camp on this farm.  As to why these were all dumped...who will ever know.  I'd guess they got wet and were dumped.  Besides the soldiers' huts, many trash pits, burn pits, and latrines have been found on these hunts...with many amazing finds.  Go to http://www.mytreasurespot.com/forums/images/div/index.html to see pics of the finds, although they are behind on uploading the pics...they're up to dig #23 now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:40:33 AM by Jim T »

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »
amazing

coonboy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
I have beeen fortunate in past years to find  a couple of Battleground caches of Confederate minies and never could figure out why they were buried there. The Johnnies normally were not known for discarding good ammo.The first cache  I found was in a Confederate camp just north of Mansfield 30 years ago.
Walking along a Civil War road bed I got a large signal with a Whites GEB detector  and after digging down nearly three feet I uncovered over 5,000 dropped  Marshall Texas enfield minies and slivers of wood that probably came from an ammo crate. It took several trips back to my truck to get them all out and this large stack was displayed in the Mansfield museum for many years. LaZouave has also hunted this site since then and found scattered Marshalls. The other cache(other than the Powdermill Cache) was dug just 2 miles east of our museum right beside Hwy 120 10 years ago. After the Battle of Mansfield remnants of  the 19th Army Corps(Union) stopped here for a short time. I found over 800 perfect dropped C.S. Gardiner minies buried on the bank of Mayou's Bayou.Why were there buried there. Most likely no one will ever know. I also found several thousand Marshall minies close to the powdermill with my son in the early 70's. Caches of minies have been found at most of the Arsenals or Powdermills but it is really exciting to find one at a batlesite. It has been months since I posted on forum but I am still here and feeling some better but have a big hill to climb yet.  coonboy
Terry

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
Great to see you posting, Terry.  We're going to get back and see you soon.

ETEX

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
Terry, great story as usual. It's good seeing you back on-line and I hope you do start feeling better. I will have to get a Saturday off and come visit you. Hunker down I think ice is on it's way to you. We are having sleet and ice right now.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:19:12 PM »
Great to see you posting here, Terry. It's nice to hear you're feeling somewhat better.Would like to sit down and have a few beers with you while you serenade me with your digging tales. It' like listening to a gunslinger.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

R. J. in LA

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
Terry, great to have you back posting.  That was a terrible bout you had with the flu, very happy you're recovering.  Talk to you soon.

R. J.