Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Finally Found A Whitworth!  (Read 9884 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Finally Found A Whitworth!
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
This is only my 2nd time starting a post in the bullet section but I got pretty excited about a find today.  I went for a short run on my uncle's property since it was a nice day (44 and sunny) and as I came near the end and slowed to a walk I noticed something in the trail that hit a familiar nerve.  I pulled it from the dirt and much to my surprise it was a bullet and appeared to be a fired Whitworth.  I've dug a good many bullets but never a Whitworth that I can recall.  I quickly assumed this was a buffalo bullet fired by some deer hunter as I couldn't be that lucky.  But when I got home and cleaned it up it has the deep cavity and rifling flats from the legendary gun:

For a fired one, especially in a rather rocky area, it is in pretty good condition.  I am starting to appreciate the projectiles of the softer and smaller type.  Now if I can just find one of the big iron ones!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:27:09 AM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
Re: Finally Found A Whitworth!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »
  Cosmic!  When I saw the title of your post, and noted it's located in the Bullets section, I was expecting to hear you went to the Artillery Hill area we discussed, with your detector.  You are the only person I've ever heard of having eyeballed a Whitworth minie.  Mucho congratulations!

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »
Pete,

Thanks.  Actually this one was found no more than 1/2 mile north of Artillery Hill.  I tried to find some there one day but no luck.  A hunting buddy took me to little rise out in front of Artillery Hill where he had found about a dozen but neither of us could find another.
Best,
Carl

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:05:02 AM »
That's a great find! You must be really excited. Congrats.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:29:16 AM »
Carl, great find and congrats on the Whitworth. We will make a leadhead out of you yet.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
We eyeball spent bullets all over Chicago so I don't know what the big deal is.

Seriously, congrats...yet another excellent eyeballed find for you!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »
Mike:  Now that was sadly funny!! 
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
good for you Carl! you have been doing good eyeballing. how did the grease bucket clean up?

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
Super find Carl!  Maybe we'll make a leadhead out of you yet.  Happy New Year!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
Thanks all.  Becoming a leadhead is a possibility as the lead is a lot easier to display and move round!

Dave:  I haven't done anything on the tar bucket yet.  I've been pretty busy with cleaning and drilling other peoples stuff that I have pending.  Looking forward to seeing you in Charleston in a few days!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:49:18 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

R. J. in LA

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
Congratulations Carl, excellent find!!

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:55:28 AM »
   Carl,       congrat's, you're on a roll first with the grease bucket and now the WW bullet !!               I eyeballed a WW about 20 years ago while arrowhead hunting just north of Wilmington. Stupidly, I gave it to a friend who wanted it [ and still does !! ]   Also found a US puppy paw belt plate one time arrowhead hunting that was beat by the farmers plow.  Never dug a Whitworth bullet or plate ever with a detector when looking for them though !!   

Jine

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 04:57:23 AM »
 :o Outrageously good fortune there Carl, congratulations! What a way to end the past year and ring in the new; makes me want to go out for a short run!
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)