Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Marked bullet  (Read 9964 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Marked bullet
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:24:10 PM »
A friend sent me this picture of a .54 cal. roundball he recovered. 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Marked bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Looks to be marked 20 caliber to me!  :)
Best,
Carl

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
Somehow I have the feeling that this will generate some interesting theories. :D

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »
I'd sure like to see the other side, but I'm thinking 20 gauge rifled slug. 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
Nice to hear you are not buried under tornado debris Jimmy.  Thought of you but lost all my #s in the job change so couldn't text to make sure you were ok.

I thought of that too, but 20 gauge is 0.615 caliber so not close if this fellow has told me correctly.  It is out of round obviously so it may be indeed.  I have not seen a similarly marked slug.  Has anybody else?

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
Gentlemen (mostly, anyway);

I hope all experienced a Merry Christmas, if not coming away from it all overstuffed and/or frostbitten. 

FWIW, the dimensions on this one aren't something that I've looked into, and probably will not.  However, whenever one discusses shotgun ammo it is good to remember that most shotgun ammo today (since early '60's anyway) is "saboted" with a plastic sleeve.  The only non-saboted projectiles one might encounter would likely be rifled slugs.  Much of this has to do with avoiding the leading of barrels and the non-deformation of shot (ergo keeping the patterns "tight"). "Shot" in this case is used to describe multiple round projectiles fired in the same cartridge. 

The patina here on "20" does not strike me as ACW vintage although there could be several reasons for that. 
And, although my expertise with ACW bullets is almost as extensive as my experience as a multi-mission moon-walking NASA astronaut, I'd venture to say MOST ACW numerical & letter marks I've noted in my very shallow exposure to same are cast as "raised" figures, not "indented" or whatever the proper term would be. 

It would seem to me that this might be a case of "site pollution". 

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
I must respectfully disagree with the 20 gauge rifled slug theory since it is described as a roundball. If it is a roundball molded in a marked mold, the 20 would be raised as Selma Hunter, the astronaut, stated.
It could be that this roundball was from the famous Georgia Brigade which consisted of the 12th., 16th., 20th., and 410th. regiments whose buttons are even found here in Ohio.
In other words, I don't have a clue. ::)

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »
Tom, the 20 gauge rifled slug is mostly a theory, and I did a pretty thorough search on the internet to see if I could find any marked slugs prior to my post - with no luck.  I'd really like to see the other side to see if there are traces of a base.  I don't believe it is ACW either, but can't verify either way at this point. 

Dr. Beach

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »
I am tired tonight, so maybe the brain is not at its best . . . but could this be the remnants of a lead 20oz fishing sinker weight?--many are marked in this way.

Horace

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
Interesting, but a a 20oz lead ball would be about 0.835" in diameter so too big (digger says its .54 caliber) by even more than a 20 gauge.

Dr. Beach

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:55 AM »
A really interesting puzzler.  Hmm . . . now what if this is a poorly cast 20 oz "cannon ball sinker"?  Yes indeed, that's what they call 'em--take a look at this site of molds: http://www.lilmacmolds.com/PDFs/2011catalog.pdf
I could imagine a poorly cast sinker specimen contaminating a CW site raising all kinds of speculation.   

ETEX

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 04:36:18 AM »
Dr. Beach, I have just gotten home from work so I am a bit tired myself. But after looking at the site attached in your post it seems like you may have nailed it. Cannonball sinker in 20 oz size with the weight in the sinker. I have done a tremendous amount of fresh water and salt water fishing and in depths up to 600 feet and have never heard of a cannonball sinker. Thanks for investigating, researching and sharing the info. I will be curious to see what others thoughts are on it after seeing your post.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
That brings to mind the  "69 caliber" fish net weight berry common to colonial sites in the South Carolina low country.  If you've ever relic hunted over there, you know what I'm talking about.

But back to the shotgun slug theory.  In the Sept./Oct issue of American Digger magazine (page 9 if memory serves correctly), there is a shotgun slug with a raised star on the nose; circa 1920-1930 era.  It's not the huge chunk of lead common to modern day slugs. 

Back to observing life from a deer stand this morning.  It's a fine morning to be in the woods for sure